Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody riding these tubeless ?

What conversion you using as im battling with mine ?
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
Search for "successful tubeless conversions" in the 29er forum. I think BruceBrown posted his how-to.
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
I gorilla taped mine. No issue seating or sealing my tires (Maxxis Ardent and Michelin XC AT). I do use a compressor though. Some confusion on the naming. I have one rim that is labeled speeddisc trail AM and the other, newer, is just labeled the speeddisc AM. I have also had good results with gorilla or split tube conversion on my speeddisc xl 26in hoops :D
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
AL29er said:
I gorilla taped mine. No issue seating or sealing my tires (Maxxis Ardent and Michelin XC AT). I do use a compressor though. Some confusion on the naming. I have one rim that is labeled speeddisc trail AM and the other, newer, is just labeled the speeddisc AM. I have also had good results with gorilla or split tube conversion on my speeddisc xl 26in hoops :D
Are you building up the spoke bed in the SpeedDisc...I have a compressor too and am no noob to tubeless...but I could not for the life of me get the Michelin XC A/T's to seat.

Finally I gave up and went back to split tube, they seated almost instantly.
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Are you building up the spoke bed in the SpeedDisc...I have a compressor too and am no noob to tubeless...but I could not for the life of me get the Michelin XC A/T's to seat.

Finally I gave up and went back to split tube, they seated almost instantly.
Probably should have taken pictures :(

No, I have converted over 4 WTB rims at this point and didn't fill any of them. The first couple I used a very narrow strip of Gorilla tape down in the ctr channel. What I don't like about that approach is that there is very little tape at the edge of the spoke holes. They have held up fine though.

This time around I used about a 1in wide strip. I pulled it taught and worked it into the ctr channel all the way around, making sure it was tight and bubble free to the rim bed as well as the channel walls. Then I carefully laid the excess tape down in the bead seat. I mounted the tire with tube for 24hr to really set the tape. I did prep the rim first FWIW (sanding and scotch brite with attention to the joint region). Standard operating procedure from there on though. Throw a used valve stem in, some stans, partially seated the tire by hand, and aired it up by compressor. I did have to add a bit more stans and coat one bead with stans as the beads were leaking a bit initially (I mounted the tire dry, so not really a surprise there). I did plenty of shaking and flipping, but after the initial couple of minutes there was no more leaking. It has been holding pressure fine over the last week and a half. Still waiting on my frame though, so it has no ride time. I am not too worried, usually the initial sealing is where things are the most issue on tubeless.
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
AL29er said:
Probably should have taken pictures :(

No, I have converted over 4 WTB rims at this point and didn't fill any of them. The first couple I used a very narrow strip of Gorilla tape down in the ctr channel. What I don't like about that approach is that there is very little tape at the edge of the spoke holes. They have held up fine though.

This time around I used about a 1in wide strip. I pulled it taught and worked it into the ctr channel all the way around, making sure it was tight and bubble free to the rim bed as well as the channel walls. Then I carefully laid the excess tape down in the bead seat. I mounted the tire with tube for 24hr to really set the tape. I did prep the rim first FWIW (sanding and scotch brite with attention to the joint region). Standard operating procedure from there on though. Throw a used valve stem in, some stans, partially seated the tire by hand, and aired it up by compressor. I did have to add a bit more stans and coat one bead with stans as the beads were leaking a bit initially (I mounted the tire dry, so not really a surprise there). I did plenty of shaking and flipping, but after the initial couple of minutes there was no more leaking. It has been holding pressure fine over the last week and a half. Still waiting on my frame though, so it has no ride time. I am not too worried, usually the initial sealing is where things are the most issue on tubeless.
That is exactly the same way mine were done EXCEPT mounting a tire with a tube for 24hours...which may be the key to getting the bead to hold the shape. My Stan's Raven tires mounted and held air no problems with the exact same setup. It wasn't that I couldn't get the Michelin tires to hold air, its that they wouldn't even seat.
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
Yep, only item that isn't standard practice for me was beading up part of the tire by hand. I did that because the tire/rim fit was a bit loose, so there was no way the 4g compressor I have could flow enough air to seat it without some help.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top