Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those fortunate enough to own a set of these, can someone send me a picture of the actual toggle cam piece? I'm hoping for a straight-on shot showing the ramp angles, ideally with a ruler underneath for scale. Maybe some close-ups of the part that attaches to the non-roller arm as well. I'm going to have one re-created by friend who's a machinist if I can get a good photo to work from. Possibly some brake arches as well.

BTW, just updated my wanted list. I need to get a few pairs of Gripmaster pads if anyone knows where to find them (yes, I'm watching eBay).

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
How About This?

How About This?

As far as the angle you should be able to get close and them make a few different ones and see what works best for you. Clearly Charlie reasearched that but we all have different brake setup preferances.

Attachments

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
filegiant said:
BTW, just updated my wanted list. I need to get a few pairs of Gripmaster pads if anyone knows where to find them (yes, I'm watching eBay).
I have a bag somewhere with about 12 pairs of Gripmasters. If I can find it, I'll PM you. Otherwise, last year, an outfitter and bike shop in Rockville, MD had a few dozen of them on the shelves, they were the 30% abrasive kind. Look up Hudson Trail Outfitters (google) and get the number for the Rockville store, be sure to ask to speak to someone in the bike shop, it's an REI type store. You may have to try a few times as I doubt anyone working there has any idea what they have in stock, and their employees are likely too young to have ever even seen a canti brake, let alone used one.

G

·
filegiant said:
For those fortunate enough to own a set of these, can someone send me a picture of the actual toggle cam piece? I'm hoping for a straight-on shot showing the ramp angles, ideally with a ruler underneath for scale. Maybe some close-ups of the part that attaches to the non-roller arm as well. I'm going to have one re-created by friend who's a machinist if I can get a good photo to work from. Possibly some brake arches as well.

i'll snap a photo tonight.

Carsten

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shayne said:
How About This?

As far as the angle you should be able to get close and them make a few different ones and see what works best for you. Clearly Charlie reasearched that but we all have different brake setup preferances.
Yeah, I saw that one too and it is close, but the roller is obscuring the ramp change so it's not ideal for replication. We'll see what Carsten comes up with.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
I can supply you with a drawing, since I've made some replica's myself which turned out perfect.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Rollercam plate:

Modified Togglecam, to clear the seatpostbinder:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much!

It was brought up that I could just use one side of my rollercam plate as a template, but wouldn't the togglecam need to have shallower ramps?

Take this theorietical rollercam plate example: say you pull the brake cable 5mm. The ramps on each side of the cam are each going to push the brake arms apart a given distance. Now if you only had one side of a cam plate, ie togglecam plate, wouldn't the ramps have to be shallower since the single ramp will have to push twice as much lateral distance as the rollercam plate to get the same overall brake force?

Along those lines, what would be cool is a pivoting/adjustable togglecam plate so you could vary the ramp angles. This would also give you the option of using v-brake levers. Hmmm...

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
filegiant said:
Thanks very much!

It was brought up that I could just use one side of my rollercam plate as a template, but wouldn't the togglecam need to have shallower ramps?

Take this theorietical rollercam plate example: say you pull the brake cable 5mm. The ramps on each side of the cam are each going to push the brake arms apart a given distance. Now if you only had one side of a cam plate, ie togglecam plate, wouldn't the ramps have to be shallower since the single ramp will have to push twice as much lateral distance as the rollercam plate to get the same overall brake force?

Along those lines, what would be cool is a pivoting/adjustable togglecam plate so you could vary the ramp angles. This would also give you the option of using v-brake levers. Hmmm...
Ramp profile is the same. The one ramp is operating the one roller like a roller cam and pushing the other arm with at least equal force. More here http://homepage.mac.com/marleyvike/PhotoAlbum2.html

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ssmike said:
Ramp profile is the same. The one ramp is operating the one roller like a roller cam and pushing the other arm with at least equal force. More here http://homepage.mac.com/marleyvike/PhotoAlbum2.html
Actually now I can see the difference in leverage is compensated for by the multiple cable mounting locations on the togglecam arm. Thanks for the pictures and diagrams--excellent resource!

G

·
here two pics. will email you the full res versions. the rollercam plate is aluminium and the togglecam stainless steel. the raster in the background is 5.0mm. 25.4mm = 1"

Carsten

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Carsten said:
here two pics. will email you the full res versions. the rollercam plate is aluminium and the togglecam stainless steel. the raster in the background is 5.0mm. 25.4mm = 1"

Carsten
Carsten, that is about as perfect as I could have expected over the internet. Thanks so much. Now I've just got to butter up my buddy to fire up his new EDM machine and bust out some copies. Here's his website by the way:

Pete Muller Machine

Check out that custom spoke wrench about half-way down the page.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
filegiant said:
Thanks very much!

The slope/angle of the cams are similar, (might be the same, but not sure) but the Toggle does have more leverage. Its close to double as you mentioned. I like using the cable attachment point closest to the cam side. Lots of leverage that way as it pivots off of the non-cam side of the toggle piece. Its good to use a brace with these because of their high leverage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.