1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else have awful luck with WTB tires? :rolleyes:

Nanoraptor #1 - Stan's blew off and ruined bead - fine, my fault

Nanoraptor #2 - Stan's blew off and ruined bead - fine, my fault

Nanoraptor #3 - Stan's - saw a bulge and undid Stan's - casing became extremely wobbly much later

Nanoraptor #4 - Never Stan'd - casing became extremely wobbly

Motoraptor #1 - Stan's worked fine but undid it with Nano#3- casing became extremely wobbly later

Motoraptor #2 - Never Stan'd - many knobs tore off - one section has six side knobs torn off or dangling

Notes:

- All are Kevlar beaded.

- I'm not currently running Stan's.

- By wobbly, I mean an uneven casing.... like an very untrue wheel. Yes, the tire is properly seated. The tires were straight when first mounted - the wobbles developed and gradually worsened over time.

- Rims used were Mavic A719's... same as T520's.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been running wtb wires with stans system and rims. So far so good. Even after about 6 months of heavy use they are still strait and in good shape. I have a kevlar on some bonti racelites that have never been strait regardless of how I set the bead, infact I think it became worse after some use. My riding partner has been running nano k's on stans stuff for the last 6 months and has two blow outs. One was a jones (this happened within minutes of inflation) and a kevlar nano which finaly blew the other day in a race (oooops), but 6 months isn't bad considering all the reported failures. He knew the risks and has grudgingly ditched his stock of kevlars.

I remeber a post a while back where some one had blown a nano k after running them tubeless. Might be worth looking up if your considering using some of those tires wtih tubes after running them tubless.

Personally I would love to see wtb start making the wire beaded nano's again.

e

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
many mighty motos

aosty said:
[clip tales of woe]...
- All are Kevlar beaded.
I've found the several motoraptors I've worn out since I converted to the bigwheel to be uncommonly durable. But I have never used Stans, used only Motos (no Nanos), and all were wire-beaded.
aosty said:
- By wobbly, I mean an uneven casing.... like an very untrue wheel.
The last one I mounted was actually incredibly straight on the casing. Perfect. Wire bead.

I've never had any chunking. And the tread itself has held up really well, especially considering that I do quite a bit of pavement climbing.

I just put a new perfect Moto on the front. But I'm missing the gluey cornering of the Bontrager Jones as a front tire. I'll probably get a new one of those--wimpy sidewalls be damned. Then I'll switch my most recent Moto to the back.

Sorry you've had trouble. Try the wire bead, and give up the Stan's. I run sealent tubes, wire beaded tires, 36H wheels built on T520 rims. With the rolling mass of those big bastids, I can ride through anything, leaving a wake of destruction. Try it, you'll find that you enjoy the power.

·
Tall Bird Legged Rider
70 Posts
Nano's

aosty said:
Anyone else have awful luck with WTB tires? :rolleyes:

Nanoraptor #1 - Stan's blew off and ruined bead - fine, my fault

Nanoraptor #2 - Stan's blew off and ruined bead - fine, my fault

Nanoraptor #3 - Stan's - saw a bulge and undid Stan's - casing became extremely wobbly much later

Nanoraptor #4 - Never Stan'd - casing became extremely wobbly

Motoraptor #1 - Stan's worked fine but undid it with Nano#3- casing became extremely wobbly later

Motoraptor #2 - Never Stan'd - many knobs tore off - one section has six side knobs torn off or dangling

Notes:

- All are Kevlar beaded.
- By wobbly, I mean an uneven casing.... like an very untrue wheel. Yes, the tire is properly seated.
- Rims used were Mavic A719's... same as T520's.
aosty,

Have used wire beaded Nano's for years and thousands of miles without problems. Have had best luck with the salsa delgado and t520 rim.

Before mounting up a new set of wire bead Nano's with stans, put the tires on a rim with a tube and inflate to 60psi. Let these sit for a few days. This will even out any wobbly problems you are having.

If you want a super bomber tire for stans use the IRC notos. You will wear them bald before you have a problem.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I use wire Motos and have never had a problem running them with tubes.
With Stans, my front would burp air occasionally, and the rear would barely hold a seal.

I tried a used Nano that the previous owner had used Stans on. I ran it with a tube until the kevlar bead broke. It was a great tire until that happened.

My favorite setup so far, is a rear Moto and using a Bontrager or Moto up front.

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before mounting up a new set of wire bead Nano's with stans, put the tires on a rim with a tube and inflate to 60psi. Let these sit for a few days. This will even out any wobbly problems you are having.
The tubed tires were straight when first mounted - the wobbles developed and gradually worsened over time.

If you want a super bomber tire for stans use the IRC notos. You will wear them bald before you have a problem.
I just picked up a pair of IRC Mythos (two fronts).

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
team_bfd said:
The last one I mounted was actually incredibly straight on the casing. Perfect. Wire bead.

I've never had any chunking. And the tread itself has held up really well, especially considering that I do quite a bit of pavement climbing.
I'll have to try the wire beaded version... if I can find any.

The knobs on one of my Moto's are pretty much all torn or shredded after ~500-700 miles... mostly in SoCal plus some rides in BayCal/NorCal/Oregon. I would guess the tread height on the few undamaged knobs to be roughly 30% worn (not reasonable). Also this was a front tire, so that rules out spinning out or (unintentional) skidding.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I "retired" the Kevlar Nanos...

I tried them for several months, with tubes, and had several issues where the tire would just wrench on the rim (SpeedCitys) even with 50+ psi.

I put wire bead Motos on for the Assult on Mt. Mitchell endurance ride and had no problems and they feel 100% secure. Rode the Womble in AR this past weekend complete with rocky "baby heads" and wheels and tires held up great with no complaints.

The SpeedCitys are narrow... but they are taking a beating with no complaints.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.