Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Taro came with SX23s and Ardent tires (2.4 EXO F, 2.25 single ply R). I've been trying to set the rear up gorilla tape tubeless without luck. Has anyone been successful with these rims?

I believe the SX23s come stock on a few Kona models, which is why I've asked here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My Taro came with SX23s and Ardent tires (2.4 EXO F, 2.25 single ply R). I've been trying to set the rear up gorilla tape tubeless without luck. Has anyone been successful with these rims?

I believe the SX23s come stock on a few Kona models, which is why I've asked here.
the sx23 rims on my p134 were very easy to setup tubeless with one wrap of gorilla tape and two scoops of stans. Also used stans valve stems.

Also, the ardents that come on the ardent have a wire bead.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sx23 rims on my p134 were very easy to setup tubeless with one wrap of gorilla tape and two scoops of stans. Also used stans valve stems.

Also, the ardents that come on the ardent have a wire bead.
How did you get the bead to seat?

I'm running 2 wraps of 1" gorilla tape (perhaps I need wider?), 2 scoops of Stans and Stans valve stems. I hit it with a compressor at the bike shop with the valve core removed and it was nowhere near seating.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
So you were at a bike shop and the bike shop guys couldn't help you?

I saw a trick on some website where they put a strap around the circumference of the tire to spread out the bead and hold it closer to the seat. Then hit it with the compressor and release the strap when it starts holding air.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
So you were at a bike shop and the bike shop guys couldn't help you?

I saw a trick on some website where they put a strap around the circumference of the tire to spread out the bead and hold it closer to the seat. Then hit it with the compressor and release the strap when it starts holding air.
Good tip Steve! I first did that trick back in 2003 when I mounted up my michi DH tires up ghetto tubeless, and have used it several times since then!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts