Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
formerly Gobike69
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the wheels on my Redline Monocog (horizontal drop outs). I am currently using a Surly 1x1 rear hub. I am not happy with the Surly's bearing package. If I tighten the bearing races enough to eliminate play in the bearings, the bearings wear out in about a week. If a leave play in the bearings they seem to last longer. Very frustrating

I can purchase set of WTB wheels through a team deal but I am concerned about the rear hub and whether the allen bolts are strong enough to keep the wheel in place in the horizontal drop out. I am planning on using Redline chain tugs but I have destroyed those before. FWIW, I am a Clyde and fairly strong and plan to race these wheels. I don't want to get these wheels if they're just going to blow up. Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
111 Posts
I raced them, never liked them. I ran them with Surly Tug Nuts. I had to replace the free wheel body (cheap 35 from WTB) Hated the engagement.
I run DT Swiss 240s now... way better but way more expensive but soooo worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the bolts are almost as good as CK Fun Bolts. I do not see any unique issue for WTB rear vs. other bolt-ons for horizontal dropouts. That answers your specific question, everything else about hubs is user preference. I have one, I have not been disappointed with it. Decent weight. Decent price. Pretty decent performance, IMO.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In no way shape or form can these hubs be compared to king hubs.
My main issue was engagement. The bolts were bad! I over cranked my and had to replace after the second ride. King and dt use 8mm and these used 6. I you ate a big dude like myself, go with something better and beefier, pay for it now or later... It us worth the investment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The OP didn't ask about engagement. He asked about using a set, on which he could get a good deal, on a track end frame. Stick to his question; I'm sure he recognizes there is a $$$ difference and a feature benefit to getting something different. That's not the issue here and we don't need to push our preferences.

I own both the hub in question and King SS wheels too. As to the question of mounting, there are no issues. If you find the need to run a tug on one, you'd run a tug on the other.

Sorry, that's the my answer. Your over torque experience and problems have not reared their head with me in even a micro degree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts