Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using a WTB Speed for XC riding, I just got a new full suspension and want to get a new saddle for it. The Speed feels comfortable but I don't know if there is something better. Sometimes it does feel a bit wide when I'm moving my butt back for descents. I have tried a friend's Laser and it feels similar to the Speed. I've read nothing but good reviews on the WTB Rocket. However, the Rocket looks like it might be too narrow but it's hard to tell without riding on it. I am 5'10" 180lb so I do not have a skinny, racer's physique. Does anyone who has tried either the Speed or Laser and the Rocket have any thoughts?

Unfortunately none of the close by LBSs have WTB saddles to demo.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Yeah, there really isn't any good way to tell you if one saddle will work better than the other. You just have to try them. I'm using a Laser-V and I like it but I don't know if it will work for you. I've used a Rocket-V and a Spesh Avatar BG in the past and they both worked well for me too.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have used the Speed V and Rocket V. The Speed V is not really an enthusiast saddle. It is wide and too mushy. I will admit it is very comfortable, but it is just too big and mushy to really give a good pedaling platform. Add to that it weighs about 350g, and it just isn't a great saddle. For me the Rocket V is the best saddle. It can be had in different rail materials for different budgets. The titanium rail saddle is 220g (about 0.3 lbs lighter than a Speed V), which is great for a saddle with the amount of padding it has. It is the perfect shape for me, and the padding is just enough to be comfortable yet still firm enough for serious riding. I actually have Rocket Vs on all my bikes now. Just so you know I am 5' 10" 190lbs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll probably just go ahead and buy the Rocket from JensonUSA, they have free shipping right now for all the versions. That way I will only be out return shipping (should only be about $5) if I feel that it doesn't fit right. I guess there really is no way to tell if it is any good until I try it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I acutally have all three of those on different bikes. I don't like the laser because it isn't long enough, the speed works ok its deffinatly heavy and I'm not a fan of being in it for more than 2 hours, but the Rocket is hands down the better saddle for me at least, once its been ridden a little while it feels great. I actually used some leather softner on mine and it made it nice and soft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.