Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title of the post says, is anyone holding on to smash seat stays that they will sell. I'm pretty much begging at this point. I am stoked on my Mega Trail and definately now want to have the option to run my bike as a 29er also. I should have bought the stays at the beginning of the year as I planned. I am caught out in the cold since GG is no longer producing any parts, including seat stays, for the metal bikes. PM me if you have a set you will sell.

Cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
Like the title of the post says, is anyone holding on to smash seat stays that they will sell. I'm pretty much begging at this point. I am stoked on my Mega Trail and definately now want to have the option to run my bike as a 29er also. I should have bought the stays at the beginning of the year as I planned. I am caught out in the cold since GG is no longer producing any parts, including seat stays, for the metal bikes. PM me if you have a set you will sell.

Cheers
I too am bummed that I won't be able to buy the Smash stays for my Shred-Dog; but at the same time I am pretty satisfied running 29" wheels/tires in the existing SD stays.

The rear end is somewhat limited in tire volume with this setup compared to the real-deal Smash (2.3-2.4 or so depending on brand), and you don't have the tuning options of Plush/Crush as the 130mm travel setting is a bit too tall in the BB for anything other than sustained fire road climbs but I do recommend giving it a try if you have compatible wheels laying around.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, maybe if enough loyal customers ask GG nicely for this option they will break out the old jigs and fire up a few sets. I am dissapointed that they didn't really offer a heads up that they would be ending production of the stays, particularily the Smash stays that folks seem to be looking for. Maybe I can talk them out of a set on a warranty frame that will envitably come in. Hmm. By hell or high water I shall figure out a way to lay my hands on those stays. Yes, sir!

·
Registered
485 Posts
FWIW - I’m running my MT with 29 wheels and a 150mm 29er fork and it feels great. BB is a touch higher, but where I ride (northeast) that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I bought a set of offset bushings to lower the BB, but TBH I haven’t actually gotten around to fitting them as it doesn’t feel bad as it is...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW - I'm running my MT with 29 wheels and a 150mm 29er fork and it feels great. BB is a touch higher, but where I ride (northeast) that's not necessarily a bad thing. I bought a set of offset bushings to lower the BB, but TBH I haven't actually gotten around to fitting them as it doesn't feel bad as it is...

I'm running a similar setup, MT stays, 160mm fox 36, 29" wheels, 1 deg offset headset and a 2mm offset bushing on the front eyelet of the shock. Running 60mm stroke on the shock for 153mm travel.

Tire to seattube clearance is pretty tight at bottom out, but I haven't been able to manage it on the trail yet, including a harsh bottom out off a jump at Trestle. I am running a 2.3" aggressor out back.

From my rough measurements, I am sitting at a 64 deg head angle, and a 340mm bottom bracket height. I leave it in gravity mode all the time now, although I bet the 350mm BB height in trail mode would be a climbing beast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW - I'm running my MT with 29 wheels and a 150mm 29er fork and it feels great. BB is a touch higher, but where I ride (northeast) that's not necessarily a bad thing. I bought a set of offset bushings to lower the BB, but TBH I haven't actually gotten around to fitting them as it doesn't feel bad as it is...

Hi all,

I'm a proud alloy MT owner planning to test 29r wheels too.

Which shock are you using rossp? 230x65? ?

I need the BB a bit higher, I've too much pedal strokes here (very rocky terrain), and I'm planning to test your setup before buying the smash seat stays.

If I only need fork and wheels to test the 29r megatrail don't know what I'm waiting for :madman:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a proud alloy MT owner planning to test 29r wheels too.

Which shock are you using rossp? 230x65? ?

I need the BB a bit higher, I've too much pedal strokes here (very rocky terrain), and I'm planning to test your setup before buying the smash seat stays.

If I only need fork and wheels to test the 29r megatrail don't know what I'm waiting for :madman:
Finally I've bought the smash seat stays.:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too am running a "29er Shred Dogg" (model year 2018) -- 150mm 29er fork (MRP Ribbon) with the shock in Gravity Mode. I've run the Shred Dogg as a 27.5, 27.5+, and 29er and I love it as a 29er. I also test fit some 29 x 2.6 tires and have about 65 miles on it like that (came from a 29 x 2.3 Aggressor). This bike riiiips. I also feel like the bottom bracket is still higher than with a 27.5 wheelset in trail mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.