Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So awhile back I picked up a laser V team WTB saddle and I'm really impressed with it, and was thinking of getting a couple more for my other rides. I was looking at WTB's web site and you have the laser series, the power series, the pure series, the speed series, the rocket series, etc. etc. The rocket seems a smaller version, and the power a larger more freeride orientated version. The Speed series and pure series seems identical aside the type of padding ("high" -vs- DNA).

I was just curious if anyone has compared the speed/pure series to the laser series and found any differences, it would be nice to not have to spend $400 on saddles, if the only difference is weight between them and laser series.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
I've been using Velo made saddles under different brand names for years. I looked at their technologies and tried a few. I wanted the groove down the middle and the front end cutout(covered) along with their one material platform(I tried the multi material body and didn't like it). I chose the Pure Stealth. It is black and grey(Kevlar) and has Ti rails. It is a little wider but comfortable with the DNA padding. Everyone is different and what I like might not fit your needs.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
As far as saddles go, stick with what you know and like. My hubby had a Speed V on his bike that he hated (it was uncomfortable for both of us). He tried out my Lazer V and said it felt better, but I like it too. We found that Greenfish were selling off their SST2K, so we ordered one to try it out. Now he is sold on the SST2K, I have my Lazer V back and the Speed V has been relegated to the parts cupboard.

- Jen.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I have three varieties of WTB saddles. The Speed series is somewhat wide, with a rear section that slopes downwards. The Rocket series is narrower with a rear section that curves upwards to almost 'cup' your ass. The Pure series is like a meld between the two - they're wide but they also curve upwards in the rear though not as sharply as the Rocket.

Having tried all three, I've decided that the Rocket V Race is pretty much my favorite of the lot. It puts just the right amount of pressure on just the right position of my sit bones and the nose section of the saddle supports my meat and two veg without mushing them.

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
I've tried the Speed, Lazer and Rocket and my order of preference is:

1. Rocket - use it on all 3 operational bikes. I affectionately refer to it as "the ass cradle" because its so comfy!
2. Lazer - backup in case I bust a saddle or interim saddle when I build up another bike but don't have the cash for another Rocket
3. Speed (Gel Version) - got it for free functions as my back up and my GF's immediate back up (she uses the She V).

Of course, saddle preference is about as personal as you can get, so what I like is pretty much meaningless to you!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I just got a Rocket V with my Trance and at first it was very uncomfortable during longer flat, sit in the sadle and crank type rides, but pretty much fine on technical up and down/in and out of the sadle type riding - couldn't get accustomed to the "kick-up" at the back of the sadle, it hurt my phsyatic nerve/made my bum num. I decided I liked the sadle and it was of beter construction than my old sadle so 2 nights in a row I left 50lbs of weight on the back to "break it in" and it seems to have worked. The kick at the back does kinda help keep you on the sadle when you're pushing.

Best advice, if you found one version of the WTB sadles you like stick with that one unless you can actually physically see them and compare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.