Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
980 Posts
Depends on your butt, I imagine. The Pure V is popular but it has a raised rear edge that I don't like. The Silverado is very flat but I didn't like that shape. I use a Speed V Comp for serious XC riding and my trail/pathway bike has a Street Smart Speed V which is a little softer but has the same comfy shape. Both are only $19.98 at BlueSkyCycling.com.

Many bike shops have a WTB Demo Saddle kit - a collection of WTB saddles marked in bold, yellow accents for loan free of charge (with deposit). You can then easily try out as many different WTB saddle models as you like.

·
Registered
390 Posts
gabe23 said:
Rocket V for me. I run a Team model on my Stumpy and it's great.
+1 on the rocket v

using it on all 3 of my bikes, including my fg road bike. the fixie culture guys i run into make fun of me for using a "mtb" saddle but i have not found anything that fits my old ass better! i hate pads/chamois & the rocket's comfy padding babys my butt no matter where or how long the ride.

the 1 downside i've run into is that the real leather cover on team & slt does not hold up very well for me so i just buy the cheaper model & lug around a few xtra grams...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Like with many saddle companies most of the WTB models are different sizes. Matching the saddle width to your personal sit bone width will get you the best fit and comfort, so you're best of test riding saddles or at least checking the width numbers between saddles you've enjoyed and saddles you want to try. Length is less important for comfort and more for performance aspects, such as getting a longer saddle if you like to scoot forward on steep climbs

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Saddle preferences are like asses: everyone's got one, everyone's is different. Except me, I was born without an ass. Which has no bearing on the WTB that I sometimes ride, the SST, with the slightly obscene looking droped nose that's friendly to the taint. You just have to try ones you think look right.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I've tried the Speed V, the Laser V, and the Pure V. By far my favorite is the Pure V. Pure comfort. That's just me though. If you like the Speed V, sit on a Pure V and see if you like it. I liked the Speed V alright, but when I got on a Pure V it felt leaps and bounds better yet it's less bulky feeling. It's all personal preference though, so don't take my word for it.

Maybe I'll measure all my WTB saddles at home and try to get some widths for you. That's going to be most important as it's really all dependent on how wide your sit bones are. I'm a bigger guy so I don't do narrow saddles. If you're a smaller guy, the Rocket V might be better for you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Silverado bar none is the best saddle in my stable (I have them on 4 bikes). I have an array of WTB's (LaserV on AM bike, PureV on SS road bike, Aviator Comp on Snow/Ice bike) and a couple of Brooks B17's and one Brooks flight (sprung B17) on a cruiser.

The silverado was never on my radar, and never considered it when I was on my crusade to find the perfect saddle, it simply looked too narrow and stiff to even consider as an option but it came stock on a bike I bought and decided I'd give it a try before ditching it for something else and it blew my mind. It isnt plush, but it simply doesn't fatigue, give hotspots or numb anything in MTB application. I describe it as disappearing under you yet allowing you to move about and even on the tip when climbing and it never wears you out or hurts anything. The best saddle of the bunch I've tried.

I've heard good things about the progel if you specifically want a gel/cushy performance saddle and you have already tried it and are sold so I would say give it a go. The price looks very decent as well.

My B17's are on bike with no MTB duties. it being leather is not ideal for being subjected to the mud and spray on wet and muddy trails although I suspect that'll help breaking it in. Also for me there is no getting around feeling the hard rails both front and back with the amount of moving about you do on a mtb. It's not necessarily a negative as I do love the B17 but there are better options (like the silverado) for mtb riding IMHO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
WTB Rocket V.

I'm on my fourth one. I will never get anything else. It is perfect. You can get cheap heavy versions all the way up to expensive ultra light race versions. They have a killer brown colored one for cheap now too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Moozh said:
The silverado was never on my radar, and never considered it when I was on my crusade to find the perfect saddle, it simply looked too narrow and stiff to even consider as an option but it came stock on a bike I bought and decided I'd give it a try before ditching it for something else and it blew my mind. It isnt plush, but it simply doesn't fatigue, give hotspots or numb anything in MTB application. I describe it as disappearing under you yet allowing you to move about and even on the tip when climbing and it never wears you out or hurts anything. The best saddle of the bunch I've tried.

Funny, that sounds like my story. I've been using WTB saddles for years until I got on a demo bike that had a Fizik Gobi saddle on it. I wasn't looking for a saddle but after that test ride, I knew I had found THE perfect saddle. I didn't enjoy spending the big bucks for it,though.

Buying a saddle is a crap shoot and it doesn't matter how much or how little it costs. For example, the WTB Speed V and Brooks B-17 are both terrible saddles for me. Although many people like both.

Listen to your a$$ - it KNOWS best.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
bigbeck said:
Funny, that sounds like my story. I've been using WTB saddles for years until I got on a demo bike that had a Fizik Gobi saddle on it. I wasn't looking for a saddle but after that test ride, I knew I had found THE perfect saddle. I didn't enjoy spending the big bucks for it,though.

Buying a saddle is a crap shoot and it doesn't matter how much or how little it costs. For example, the WTB Speed V and Brooks B-17 are both terrible saddles for me. Although many people like both.

Listen to your a$$ - it KNOWS best.
Fizik is it for me too, I put one on rode 18 miles, on every rough section I'd think this can't be real,, my Speed V was nice, but the Fizik Aliante XM is unreal. well thats what my azz told me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Timm said:
Man, that Fizik Gobi looks nice. Heck of a price tag though.
Yeah, but you can't go by the price, it means nothing. It wouldn't surprise me if you bought one and found that you liked the Rocket V comp saddle better. The Rocket and Gobi are both narrow saddles,around 128 & 130mm, so the chances are good that the Gobi would be ok for you. But does OK justify spending 150.00? Not for me. Heck I get pissed off when I only spend 30.00 for an ok saddle.

A good LBS that carries Fizik will have demo models that you can try for a couple of days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.