Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,246 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
Anyone know if the WTB Dual Duty comes in a 36 hole drilling? Their website does not specify.

Thanks.
Nope, 32h only. They're not against doing a 36h version, they simply insist that they be ordered in quantities of 200. So you and I and the rest of us need to wait until QBP or BTI (etc...) see the need to order that many.

MC

·
This place needs an enema
17,246 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
Thanks Mike.

Thats a shame. Build a beefy rim and not offer anything but 32 hole. Doesn't quite make sense to me.

Any other suggestions for a burly 36 hole rim?
Sorta burly = DT TK
Medium burly = Rhyno Lites.
Wicked burly = Kris Holm

MC

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mike is correct. My 2007 order forms show that they have finally started offering 36h versions of their 26" FR and DH rims, but they need to know that it will work for them economically before they commit to doing it on the 29" side.

FWIW I asked them well over a year ago to do a 36h 29er version of the old 36mm wide welded LaserDisc DH rims along with TimberWolf 2.5 29er tires. The rim would have been too expensive, but functionally it would be substantially lighter than the Kris Holm but way wider and likely stronger than the Rhyno Lite. The TW was at the time the only WTB tire that would work well for the often wet, rocky, muddy conditions that we get over here. It would have been a bit of a leap of faith for them at the time, since the Behemoth was barely out of the rumor stage, but without the tires there has been limited call for the framebuilders to make the stretch into that space, and without the frames the tire companies don't want to take the risk.

It will take somebody who has some control over both the tire and the frame and who wants first-mover advantage to make that happen. Connect the dots...

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Daner said:
FWIW I asked them well over a year ago to do a 36h 29er version of the old 36mm wide welded LaserDisc DH rims along with TimberWolf 2.5 29er tires. QUOTE]

I have been lusting for a TimberWolf in 29" as well. Whatever size they want to call it as long as it is the biggest tire that will possibly fit in a Fluid 130 fork.

How much of a drop in sales volume of the 29" Exi do you think there has been since the Nev and Ramp have come on the scene? I'm hoping that the 29" Stout from WTB will be all that Chris, their tire guy, said it would be. Claimed it would be better than a 29er TimberWolf for my prefered riding up in Tahoe and D'ville.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
mikesee said:
Sorta burly = DT TK
Medium burly = Rhyno Lites.
Wicked burly = Kris Holm

MC
Just want to slot the Mavic A719 rim in there between the TK and the Rhyno. It can be had in 32, 36 and 40 hole drillings. Would not be surprised if a 40h build made it equal or stronger than a Rhyno. White Ind. makes a few hubs in 40h. Being 565g vs. 620g for the Rhyno a 40h A719 wheel would be a touch ligher as well, no?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.