Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE the Pure V but the creak is enough to drive a guy batty. It seems to start about 3 months into owning the saddle. Anybody else experience this?

Jay

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
yep, I just squirt a little tri-flo at the rail/saddle interfaces and work it in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is it all Pure's?

My Pure creaks too. It is the NiCro railed version. The rails appear thinner than the Ti rails on my Laser. It was much worse on my Maverick, where the seat is at an extreme angle (maxed out) due to the slack seattube angle. The Laser, now on the Maverick, doesn't creak near as much. Would a Pure with Ti rails have the thicker rails, and therefore not creak?

Thomson seatpost in both cases, but as I mentioned, I had to max out the angle on the Mav...which I suspect made it a little harder to tighten down as much with clamps.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,420 Posts
Funny to be reading this thread, I'd thought one of my pivots on my Highline was creaking, discovered this morning that it's my Turner saddle on Thomson post.

·
Official Member
309 Posts
6thElement said:
Funny to be reading this thread, I'd thought one of my pivots on my Highline was creaking, discovered this morning that it's my Turner saddle on Thomson post.
ya, standard operating procedure is to service the frame pivots, crank/bb, headset, pedals, cables, stem, etc., until you finally discover it's the effing ti rails on your saddle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry to dig this up...

I have a Pure V Team (with Ti) rails that creaks like a sonofa*****... has anyone had any long term success with the lube methods described above? I love the comfort, can't stand the noise.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
All pure V creak. I have tried all possible solutions, nothing is a permanent fix. Spraying silicone lube at the rail junctions before almost every ride is the only solution. Even then if the ride lasts over 2 1/2 -3 the creak comes back.
Its how those saddles are put together. The new WTB VIGO has much better quality rail connections, there is a rubber bumper underneath the rail junction at the nose.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Jaybo said:
I LOVE the Pure V but the creak is enough to drive a guy batty. It seems to start about 3 months into owning the saddle. Anybody else experience this?

Jay
that's weird, i always figured you rode without a seat

·
Registered
927 Posts
Double check that the seatpost's clamp of the saddle is really strongly closed. I had Purev V creaking, that ended up going awayonly when I went on to close the clamp very very tight. Nothhing to do with PureV I guess but worth a look.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
My saddles, WTB and Fisik, have been mostly silent since I started applying a wax based lube to the ends of the rails. I started out with White Lightening, which works but goes away quick (especially if you hit water). Now I apply R&R Gold whenever creaking/groaning begins. Usually an application lasts for 1-2 months of silence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts