Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that the WTB heading might get more interest than the generic "name that part" thread so I started a new one.

We just got this bike which has an interesting story behind it (maybe). This is supposed to be a test bike with a lighter weight tubing than the standard Phoenix frames. Using the non-scientific "ping test", it doesn't sound particularly thin. Maybe Mike can ask Steve about it? The bike was supposed to have come through the hands of a WTB employee (Caleb something??). Serial number is 9430.

WTB parts include Grease Guard hubs (looks like the front is almost white), modded King headset, seat, brakes, Judy brace, grips, press fit bb.......... The fork looks to be a 1995 and I'm not 100% sure which parts are era correct for the late 1994/early 1995 time frame.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
That brake reminds me of one of those pre-historic tigers. How does it feel? As good as a toggle cam?

Nice Phoenix. Never seen a 1 1/8" GG King headset or a Phoenix with a press-fit BB. Pretty neat. Good one for the museum.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
That brake reminds me of one of those pre-historic tigers. How does it feel? As good as a toggle cam?

Nice Phoenix. Never seen a 1 1/8" GG King headset or a Phoenix with a press-fit BB. Pretty neat. Good one for the museum.
Is the HS 1&1/8"? Sorta looks like 1" to me.

Very cool bike. FWIW, I stayed quiet in the earlier thread since I had nothing to add and I expected a thread for the whole bike to come along. I totally agree on the direction of the forum though.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
I love this bike. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a Phoenix made available to me for a song a couple (OK...make it 5-6) years ago. I passed on it at the time because I was just getting in DH rigs, and another XC bike made no sense to me - I had a garage full of 'em already. It sure makes sense to me now.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
To take a stab at the front brake: I'm calling it the WTB Wedge-Cam :p , although I'm not sure I see the point. Does this design work better than a toggle-cam? Or was this just a one-off experiment that proved to be worse, and therefore never went into production?

·
Registered
508 Posts
saber cam

it was needed due to the sussy fork and the need for a housing & cable stop. Same one inch gg headset as young seen, the ahead top bearing race was made available. Very cool bike indeed.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
First Flight said:
There was supposedly some type of prototype brake on the fork originally but it was "called home" by WTB and replaced with the Saber Cam. Wonder what the first one looked like?
I think the only other rendition that worked on the suspension fork was the lever link:

Photobucket

WTB didn't feel comfortable with this brake in the hands of Joe Public because there are some potential consequences if it gets out of a certain range of adjustment. It's Charlie's favorite brake.

The roller and toggle cams wont work on the Judy as the WTB cable stop for that arch doesnt extend high enough to handle them. It only works for cantis, which that particular arch also allows for.

Re: the headset, I forgot those earlier Phoenixes had 1" head tubes. Mine's a year newer and has the larger size.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
it probably had the only other rendition that worked on a suspension fork - the lever link:

Photobucket

WTB didn't feel comfortable with this brake in the hands of Joe Public because there are some potential consequences if it gets out of a certain range of adjustment. It's Charlie's favorite brake.

The roller and toggle cams wont work on the Judy as the WTB cable stop for that arch doesnt extend high enough to handle them. It only works for cantis, which that particular arch also allows for.

Re: the headset, I forgot those earlier Phoenixes had 1" head tubes. Mine's a year newer and has the larger size.
How does that brake feel? It certainly looks much nicer than the sabre-cam, which is an eyesore IMO.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
bushpig said:
How does that brake feel? It certainly looks much nicer than the sabre-cam, which is an eyesore IMO.
it works really good and has some neat adjustment features/benefits that the others dont have. I have to say though, that I haven't got it to feel as good as the incredible toggle cam though. It might need some more tinkering...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.