Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of Canon point and shoots (the SD series) and they shoot ok vid at 640x480, but it would be nice to have more choices. Here's what I'd like to find:
  • 720 or 1080 video.
  • 30fps at full quality
  • I have a built-in SD card reader (HD SD cards fine) in my laptop, so Sony memory sticks are not an option. Must be SD.
  • I would like OPTICAL image stabilization for both the still shooting AND video shooting mode.
  • It would be nice to be able to zoom while recording video.
  • A wide-angle at the low end of at least 28mm would be very nice.
  • A minimum of 5x optical zoom, higher better.

Does this P&S camera exist?

TIA

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Blue Train

tscheezy said:
I have a lot of Canon point and shoots (the SD series) and they shoot ok vid at 640x480, but it would be nice to have more choices. Here's what I'd like to find:
  • 720 or 1080 video.
  • 30fps at full quality
  • I have a built-in SD card reader (HD SD cards fine) in my laptop, so Sony memory sticks are not an option. Must be SD.
  • I would like OPTICAL image stabilization for both the still shooting AND video shooting mode.

It looks like BobRocket uses a Panasonic Lumix FX35 that fits most of your requirements. Look up his vimeo videos to see how it looks. I was impressed.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Best Bruises

tscheezy said:
Interesting. The Lumix DMC-FX580 seems to offer 1280 x 720p at 30 fps which is better than the FX35. The rest of the specs look good as do some reviews. A good data point.
I'm not sure I would like a touch-screen in a camera that I'd be using for biking. Eh, who knows, might be nice.

Since you are familiar with Canon's, you might also look at the SX200IS. It "only" shoots in 720p HD.

I picked up a SX200IS today as a present for someone. I "should" be able to borrow it to take some sample videos, when I manage to get back on a bike.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Check out the Panasonic ZS3. If you got a costco up there, they are on sale for $250. 25-300mm lense and 720p @30fps. Battery life is kinda on the short side though.

-Sp

tscheezy said:
Interesting. The Lumix DMC-FX580 seems to offer 1280 x 720p at 30 fps which is better than the FX35. The rest of the specs look good as do some reviews. A good data point.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
SinglePivot said:
Check out the Panasonic ZS3.
Looks interesting. It uses an "AVCHD Lite" video codec, which some people seem to think is very proprietary and it may not play nice with some editors. Any thoughts on this? I have found conflicting info on whether or not you are stuck recording in AVCHD or if you can record in Motion JPEG.

dcresource.com said:
That brings us to the touchy subject of video editing. On most digital cameras, you can just double-click on the AVI or MOV file and it would open up in Windows Media or QuickTime Player. That's not the case on the ZS3, at least if you're using the AVCHD Lite codec. The camera creates a fairly complex file structure on your memory card, and even if you do find the video file, there's not much you can do with it.

For viewing and editing the movie (at least in Windows), you'll want to use PhotoFunStudio. You can view the movies, remove unwanted footage (see screenshot above), and burn them to a DVD or Blu-ray disc. This software does not allow you to convert videos to more common formats like AVI or QuickTime. For that, you'll need a more serious video editor, like Adobe Premiere (see this list for more ideas).
Wikipedia has a complicated explanation of what editors can use AVCHD and while some versions of iMovie can (that's what I use), it sounds like a potential pain.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can record in .mov I think too but it creates roughly 2x the file size. Also, you need a good dual core pc to edit avchd.

There are a lot of P&S that are HD for 2009. Here's a link to a sony H20 that was part of shootout:

[URL="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/page7.asp[/URL]

It uses a more common video format. Lots to choose from this year!

-Sp

Ps, CMOS sensor image suffers if you do fast panning.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
notaknob said:
I'm not sure I would like a touch-screen in a camera that I'd be using for biking. Eh, who knows, might be nice.

Since you are familiar with Canon's, you might also look at the SX200IS. It "only" shoots in 720p HD.

I picked up a SX200IS today as a present for someone. I "should" be able to borrow it to take some sample videos, when I manage to get back on a bike.
I have the SX200IS and I love the camera, but I haven't tried the video yet... might do it soon...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am leaning towards the SX200IS at this point too. If it got all the way down to 25mm on the wide end that would be nice, but 28 isn't bad. It also can't zoom while recording video. It does meet all my other requirements though. :)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At work we have a Pentax Optio W80 waterproof/rugged P&S camera that shoots 720p video, but it has to buffer after recording 15 seconds at max resolution and 30fps, so you are limited to 15 second clips. :( It has a 5x zoom (5-25mm) so it starts at a 35mm film equivalent of 28mm focal length.

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
tscheezy said:
  • 720 or 1080 video.
  • 30fps at full quality

TIA
The camera you want does exist.

The Panasonic TS-1. The extra bonuses that it has over all of your stated needs is that it is water proof and shock proof.

I can totally recommend this camera for both stills and for amazing helmet camera footage.

Here is a highly compressed sample of a helmet cam I did a few weeks ago.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Here is a HD helmet cam at night. Not many cameras look this good at night.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you speak to any added complications of dealing with the AVCHD Lite video codec? It seems the high-end Panasonic cameras use it, and the more I read about it, the worse it sounds. I have iMovie 8.0.4 which supposedly can read those files, but it makes me nervous...

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
tscheezy said:
Can you speak to any added complications of dealing with the AVCHD Lite video codec? It seems the high-end Panasonic cameras use it, and the more I read about it, the worse it sounds. I have iMovie 8.0.4 which supposedly can read those files, but it makes me nervous...
I do use a PC to edit and view my vids, but the MTS format of the AVCHD videos is an industry standard file and very easy to work with.

I wouldn't hold back on this camera because you've never used this file type before. If you want I can upload a small .mts file for you to play with in iMovie if you like.

Let me know.

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
Both videos above were shot with the TS-1. I do own both an FX-35 and a TS-1. The FX-35 is a nice point and shoot, but isn't weather proof or dust proof. I've had issues with dust in it a few times, so I only use the TS-1 for helmet cams outdoors now.

The camera functions, menu, buttons and operations are almost identical but the TS-1 can film in true HD and has optical stabilization at the highest resolution whereas the FX-35 only has stabilization at lower resolutions.

So to answer your question directly, I like the TS-1 better.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
One More Hangover Day

BobRocket said:
Both videos above were shot with the TS-1. I do own both an FX-35 and a TS-1. The FX-35 is a nice point and shoot, but isn't weather proof or dust proof. I've had issues with dust in it a few times, so I only use the TS-1 for helmet cams outdoors now.
I've seen that you've created your own chest and helmet mounts for this. Do you mind posting a few pictures of your creations?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still looking... not really finding anything that grabs me. I think I would do a Lumix (maybe the ZS3) but the .mts file thing is annoying. I can't get iMovie to pull import it direclty. I have converted a clip via two different pieces of shareware (both ~$35) but it is SLOW. Like, 10x the length of a clip. A 4 second clip takes about 40 seconds to convert. Jeeze. I am wondering if there is a faster way of dealing with those AVCHD Lite files. The rest of the Lumix specs seem quite nice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.