Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all the new WTB WT tires come with a recommended range on them? After reading so many post about rims vs tire size, I was happy to see a tire company stamp a range on there hanging card. Just got Vigilante 27.5 x 2.8 for my sons Cannondale Cujo which has 35mm inner width rims. Card states optimized for 28mm-35mm. If the 2.8 can go on a 28mm rim, shouldn't the 2.6 or 2.5 be good for a smaller rim say 23mm? Or they all designed for 28mm-35mm?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Maybe.
It depends on the terrain you'll be riding and the speed you'll be going. Rockier and faster means higher pressure and less width. Rounded rocks/roots and non DH speeds will let you run lower pressure for a bigger footprint. When you do that you can take advantage of more sidewall support from a wider rim. Or choose a tire with lighter more flexible sidewalls on an even wider rim at lower pressure. CushCore inserts lets you lower pressure at a bit higher speeds to get a bigger footprint and more traction.

So it's now not simple. you get a ton of tuning options for performance. You can experiment. For my medium speed round rock hardpack with loose terrain I'd want 40mm+ for a 2.8 tire no matter what's on the sidewall. I can use a 120tpi light high volume tire.

But that's not all. As you go wider and lighter you can use that bigger footprint at lower pressures to choose a tread pattern with smaller shorter knobs to roll faster. You get the corner and climbing traction at lower pressures when the sidewall wrinkles down instead of folding over like when you're on skinnier rims.

In Florida I'd choose wide and light at lower pressure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts