Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
SS Pusher Man
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the MOtoraptor and Nanoraptor work in sandy conditions. I am thinking of running these this weekend in Big Bear for the 12hr race. Just curious because there is quite a bit of sand and loose loamy dirt.

My other option is to keep the Kenda Klaws I have on now, or throw a used Bonty JOnes on the rear.

Thanks
mtnbikej

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I really, really like the Nano for sand. It just rolls you accross it, and you stay in control.
My fav sand front tire in the days was the (still have one) Kenda Hammer 26x1.9. Sharp, direction knobs which allowed me to slalom myself down sanddunes. The Kenda Klaw front tire is not very similar, though one line of directional knobs sits in the middle. I don't expect it to shine in sand, but never tried either.
One extremely sandy race, I one used a 29" Nano front and fat slick, the Schwalbe Big Apple 28x2.35" rear. I wasn't especially fit that day, but I seemed to do reasonably well, and made it up all the dunes in the course. With serious downhills, I wouldn't recommend to repeat my stunt. Nano's are very good in 95% of conditions, sand being their specialty. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
mtnbikej said:
How do the MOtoraptor and Nanoraptor work in sandy conditions. I am thinking of running these this weekend in Big Bear for the 12hr race. Just curious because there is quite a bit of sand and loose loamy dirt.

My other option is to keep the Kenda Klaws I have on now, or throw a used Bonty JOnes on the rear.

Thanks
mtnbikej
I wouldn't call Big Bear sandy. Loose, yes. Sandy, no. And while Nanos aren't ideal ( I really liike the 26" Epic Wolf ) for BB, they do work okay because of their large volume. I've raced BB on 2.1 Nanos - albeit the 26" version and liked them enough that I would use them again there because of the size volume of the 2.1 Nano. The Moto would also work okay as well. I know a lot of people here like the Klaw tires, but it seems every time I put them on my bike, I get a flat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts