Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm wanting to get fatter tires for my gravel bike. The frame has exactly 60mm clearance in the chain stays. Which tire do you you all recommend:
WTB Nano (700c 40mm) tires or Continental Race King (29" 2.0" wide) tires??

I'm ride a mix of road, gravel, and hardpack singletrack.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You might want to consider a 700x45 Riddler or maybe the Donnelly MSO 50.. I have a pair of Nanos I have yet to try. I'f I were mostly offroading I would opt for MTB tires. For a combo including road, I'd lean toward a Gravel tire.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Racekings are pretty quick. I would use them for mainly singletrack and soft conditions like sandy roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My wife and I are using Race King 2.1 and MSO 50s. Both are great. She likes the Race King size for confidence and comfort yet they roll well. She's set up with tubes for simplicity. I have MSO 50s tubeless and am really impressed with how well they roll on pavement considering the size and unpaved performance.

The Race Kings on the Fargo are really good in the sandy stuff by our cabin and that size is good where ATVs and cars have the gravel loose and strange.

We have bigger Riddler on a MTB and it's impressive. I'd consider it. I've ridden Nanos - also great. I'd be tempted to try the 45 width Riddler on a drop bar bike.

Weight weenies and racers would probably consider our setups heavy or overkill but they work well as truly ride about anything setups and have been durable. Our son has 38 mm setup to accommodate his frame, he often rolls faster, but we ride and he walks in places. He also rides more pavement miles.

It's all good stuff here. I'll leave it as this. My Sutra Ltd. came with the MSO 50s and I thought I'd be taking them off. I made the tubeless and have been a pleased promoter since but you need the understanding they're about versatility, comfort and reliability over a racer or weight weenie mentality.

P.S. The MSO 50s also surprised me in good ways with winter and snow performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.