Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called WTB about a month and a half ago and got this info.

In 2003, they built the Kevlar Nano with a Kevlar (Aramid if you will)bead. It has a purple designator stripe on it.

For 2004 they went to a Fiberglass bead on the "Kevlar Tire" and changed to a stickier rubber than the 2003 version. This tire has a green designator stripe on it. This tire has had alot of problems blowing off on tubeless systems, and they are aware of this.

He said that they are coming out with a new Nano, and indicated they should be availible this August (ie. about now). This tire has the sticky rubber, and is going back to the Kevlar bead. It will also have a green stripe designator.

He said that they do not claim that the tires will work with tubless Stans's type systems, but that they are aware that many people do this. They believe that the new tire will hopefully address the tubless problems, but again, I didn't get the impression that they are going claim that it works with all the liability issues.

So, hopefully, these new tires will work better than what we have had in the past.

He said that when ordering tires, ask if the tires are the "new ones". He said that reps would inform the resellers of this "new tire" and if your seller does not know about it, don't buy it and find someone that is aware of the change.

Let's hope for the best

Bob

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
bdawson said:
I called WTB about a month and a half ago and got this info.

In 2003, they built the Kevlar Nano with a Kevlar (Aramid if you will)bead. It has a purple designator stripe on it.

For 2004 they went to a Fiberglass bead on the "Kevlar Tire" and changed to a stickier rubber than the 2003 version. This tire has a green designator stripe on it. This tire has had alot of problems blowing off on tubeless systems, and they are aware of this.

He said that they are coming out with a new Nano, and indicated they should be availible this August (ie. about now). This tire has the sticky rubber, and is going back to the Kevlar bead. It will also have a green stripe designator.

He said that they do not claim that the tires will work with tubless Stans's type systems, but that they are aware that many people do this. They believe that the new tire will hopefully address the tubless problems, but again, I didn't get the impression that they are going claim that it works with all the liability issues.

So, hopefully, these new tires will work better than what we have had in the past.

He said that when ordering tires, ask if the tires are the "new ones". He said that reps would inform the resellers of this "new tire" and if your seller does not know about it, don't buy it and find someone that is aware of the change.

Let's hope for the best

Bob
Excellent news! Thanks!

·
Derailleurs owned: 0
354 Posts
slight difference in weight?

There must be some way to tell the difference between the green striped Aramid or Fiberglass bead Nanos. My 1st idea would be weight. Or maybe the words or logos are slightly different?

C Jones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.