Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The things u do when u are bored and have a file. I love the Maxiss Worm tread and l love the WTB Mutano Raptor so I made this for my Epic 29er rear tire. I took it out in the trails by my house in the snow and mud and it riped it up no traction problems at all.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I had those mutano's on a hardtail. I could not find a psi where I didn't either lose my teeth rattling over even the smoothest roads, or lose grip or traction on the tamest trails. Just didn't work for me.
I want to do that to a Weirwolf. have done similar things to half a Nano already, with a narrow beltgrinder.

My idea for next such project is to have a big file and set a rider in a trainer to drive the rear wheel and such get good rubber smoking capacity without the noisy and messy powertool that will just snap belts all the time.

Would you explain the snipe and file procedure a bit further please? Others now tires that work well when filed down?

I took the top half off a Bontrager XR front (less off side knbs), and that pretty much killed all performance, although it did roll faster, as a decent dry weather rear. The XR tread isn't so preferable for this job, which is?

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I want to do that to a Weirwolf.
If you're talking a 29er WWLT, if you take any tread off of it it'll just have casing left.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Cloxxki, I took some snippers and cut down the tread and then took a file and started to file away. It took a couple of hours of filing, I have been on a couple of snow and mud rides so far. Having 4 inches in the back makes using this tire no problem at all my shock handles it all. I am just happy to have the 29x1.85 on the back without any problems. The next tire on my list to do for the rear is that Bontager 29x1.8 since its not a true 29er frame tire selection has to be modified, but its all good. Iam looking at front tires with good volume to alter next. Kenda Klaw 29x 1.9 or if u have any ideas they would be appericated.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
el-cid said:
If you're talking a 29er WWLT, if you take any tread off of it it'll just have casing left.
Not more rubber is required for the beach than just the thickness between the knobs, I think. A bit of latex in the tube should do the trick. I know it may be tricky on wet pavement, the rubber being not made to be used for slick tire purpose. On the beach, it's all about rolling resistance created by the sand making way for the tire. Compressing 10 yards of beach every second enough to leave a clear mark takes a lot of effort. Wider and smoother casings reduce amount of sand displaced, and thus RR.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wha?

Hey I'm not getting this. I suppose you are doing it to save weight.

I throw away tires when the tread wears and you guys are purposely grinding the tread off. Why not just ask people for their worn out tires? Or just buy semi-slick tires?

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
B-RAY said:
The things u do when u are bored and have a file. I love the Maxiss Worm tread and l love the WTB Mutano Raptor so I made this for my Epic 29er rear tire. I took it out in the trails by my house in the snow and mud and it riped it up no traction problems at all.:thumbsup:
If a tire like that give you no traction problems at all in the snow, your winter traction needs must be completely different than mine. Even with all it's knobs, a Mutanoraptor doesn't give me anywhere the grip I need to climb snow-covered hills on the trails I normally ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.