Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Semper Fi
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question here, but I just picked up a set of the Mutano tires for dirt cheap. Several days ago, I had bought the Stans fluid.

I have the Bontrager Tubeless ready Race wheels and tires that come stock on the 07 Trek Fuel EX8.

Can I run these WTB tires tubeless or not? I thought they were tubeless when I bought them, but no where does it say UST or tubeless. I tried the WTB website, but it was no help either.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
To use them tubeless, you'll need a sealant to seal the bead. You'll find the bead is trickier to set than a UST bead which is made to seat with a UST rim.

UST rim/ non-UST tire is probably a more secure combination than non-UST/non-UST however.

Personally, I only run UST/UST or tubeless ready as I don't want to deal with difficult installation, I want to be able to run a very low pressure, and I don't want to have to use a latex sealant. I use my own mixture from various inexpensive auto store products.

You should try some of the new TR tires from Bonty or Hutchinson.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Running Mutanos tubeless on Mavic 819 UST wheels without any problems.
It loses a few pounds of air between rides, but that is no big deal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Strafer said:
Running Mutanos tubeless on Mavic 819 UST wheels without any problems.
It loses a few pounds of air between rides, but that is no big deal.
Are you running the non-tubeless version of the tire on the 819 UST without sealant?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I've run 2.4 Mutano's with stans on UST rims on and off for about a year. It took a few rides for the sealant to fully seal the beads without having to add air before each ride. No other problems on the rear. But a few times under very hard sharp cornering the front brurped a lot of air pressure so I had to pump up the tire more to continue. Once I panic stopped and turned the front wheel sharply to avoid a head-on while decending on a blind singletrack turn and burped the front tire completely flat and tore a 1/8th inch hole in the sidewall, and it wouldn't seal. I just ran it with a tube after that.

The sidewalls are very thin and flexible on the 2.4 Mutano so you really can't run lower pressures than with a tube without getting too much side wallow and tire tuck in corners and off-camber surface. But with stan's the wheels are lighter and more flat free than with tubes. With shorter suspension travel the difference in rolling smoothness is noticable even with the same pressures as with tubes, and there's even less rolling resistance over rocks.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Get Specialized Resolution Tires - it's a knock off of the Mutano, but it's UST and has beefy sidewalls for cut protection. It's actually a very good MOST (Nor Cal) conditons tire.

I run them on 819's -

I've had Mutano's blow off the rim at the bead when stan's converted on Non UST rims - switched to true UST after that.

Too bad WTB doesn't like UST. If Weir was a UST zealot you KNOW they would be overflowing with UST tires in the line.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
I run non-UST 2.4 with Stans.
Never had a burp, even when I intentionally try by slamming against a berm in a quick, sharp turn.
Could be coz I run it at rather high pressure, around 32-35 psi.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
My Mutano 2.4 blew off the rim on a Bontrager Mustang? Asym rim converted to stan's about 15 minutes after putting the wheel into the trunk of my car on a mild (warm) day.

About 35 psi - WTB tires are notorious for weak beads.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've had no issues at all with mutano 2.24s running ghetto tubeless @ 35-40psi on 17mm and 25mm wide rims. 3 for 3 so far. Includes 3'+ drops to flat.

I really like the 2.24 on the rear, it is my standard issue XC tire. I also have one on a spare rear wheel for my 7" bike when I'm doing a ride that involves more pedaling than gravity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts