Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
mmm
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah yeah another comparison thread. Just wanted to see if any had any experience between the two tires.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my Spider 2.1 UST front/Fire XC UST 2.1 rear to a set less squirrly. I like being able to super low pressures (~27/28) with UST but am wondering about the portly size (~980grams) of the Enduro 2bliss. I've also heard great things about the Mutano. FYI I'm running Mavic 819s.

Thanks...

·
gimme friction
1,133 Posts
I've used them both, with tubes, and liked 'em both. The Enduro was a great front tire, handled low pressure well (< 30 psi), but was definately heavier than the Mutano.

Also, Spec's 2.4 is much wider than WTB's 2.4, but that's old news.

The Enduro's sidewalls gave out before the tread, which was kinda surprising for such a heavy tire.

I run the Mutanos in 2.4 front and back now, and I'm pleased with the overall performance. No squirm under any conditions as long as I keep the pressure relatively low (which I like anyhow).

YMMV

·
Registered
630 Posts
Enduro

The 2.4 Enduro 2Bliss D2 is the best loose conditions tire I've tried in the front when heading downhill. I ran it tubeless on 819's. It's just too stinkin' heavy to pedal uphill. Not the fastest roller either. Very tall tire too. No experience with WTB tires.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Two VERY different tires! Not really comparable.

The Mutano 2.4 is a light, largeish volume, minimal, though full block, tread, fast rolling, reasonably grippy, dry condition tire. It is NOT a tubeless tire.

The Enduro 2.40 2Bliss is a tougher tubeless tire with massive volume, big aggressive tread, grippy rather than fast and OK in the wet.

Full specs for both are on my tire site.

·
mmm
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy said:
Two VERY different tires! Not really comparable.

The Mutano 2.4 is a light, largeish volume, minimal, though full block, tread, fast rolling, reasonably grippy, dry condition tire. It is NOT a tubeless tire.

The Enduro 2.40 2Bliss is a tougher tubeless tire with massive volume, big aggressive tread, grippy rather than fast and OK in the wet.

Full specs for both are on my tire site.
Thanks...looks like the Mutano's look to be the best bet for NorCal summers.

Just to confirm? Running the mutanos with tubes on 819's do I still need rimtape?

·
Ride on
639 Posts
timehoc said:
Thanks...looks like the Mutano's look to be the best bet for NorCal summers.

Just to confirm? Running the mutanos with tubes on 819's do I still need rimtape?
I think the Mutano can be a good summer Norcal tire, but the relatively shallow tread will wash out on high speed turns if the conditions are too loose. They do float over sand and other loose conditions in a straight line just fine.

I'm sticking with a Mutano in the rear, and trying a Specialized Resolution 2.2 in the front to see if the deeper, similar looking tread gives added grip without too much extra rolling resistance.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Stay away from the WTB Mutano's

First time I bought them I thought the world of them. Must have bought about 4 sets before I decided to change tires. If you ride in aything remotely rocky, the knobs will tear off completely. I said knob(S) and not knob.

Best tire and cheap too is the IRC Trail Bear, not too heavy any stands up to abuse.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
No more knob shreding

YaMon said:
First time I bought them I thought the world of them. Must have bought about 4 sets before I decided to change tires. If you ride in aything remotely rocky, the knobs will tear off completely. I said knob(S) and not knob.

Best tire and cheap too is the IRC Trail Bear, not too heavy any stands up to abuse.
The first couple years of Mutanoraptor had serious knob tearing problems for me too. But the last couple sets I've had didn't have any knob-tearing problem. They must have changed the rubber, or the earlier tires got cooked too hard in some hot warehouse. They last a looong time too.

I think they are too light for mostly rock conditions though.

- ray

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
derby said:
The first couple years of Mutanoraptor had serious knob tearing problems for me too. But the last couple sets I've had didn't have any knob-tearing problem. They must have changed the rubber, or the earlier tires got cooked too hard in some hot warehouse. They last a looong time too.

I think they are too light for mostly rock conditions though.

- ray
ditto, I don't see my 4 month old mutanos ripping any knobs any time soon. the rubber is very good

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with Ray above, the Mutano 2.4 is not a good rocky condition tire. The sidewalls are very thin.

The Mutano 2.24 is actually beefier than the 2.4.

I ran a 2.4 on the front until the sidewall torn on rocks. For dry conditions it's nice because of the volume but overall it's too flimsy for my riding.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,801 Posts
My bike came with Mutanos in '02. I pinch flatted a few times, then switched to Kenda 1.2mm hd tubes for 2.35-2.7 tires. They weigh 2x a "regular" tube, but after that, no more issues. I ride rocky front range trails, but would not use the Mutanos for dh, I have other tires for that. Tire pressure is key to their performance, moreso than most tires I've used. They won't grip anything and wash out easily with the pressure too high, but you can get flats and tire/rim damage running too low. At the right pressure, they seem to do everything fairly well. Theres still no comparison to sticky dh tires, but I don't bring armor for trailrides, so I'm not pushing real hard. The loss in performance dh is worth the low weight and VERY low rolling resistance, it makes my 37 lb pig into a bike I can peddle all day. My rim, tube, and tire come in at 1350g... the dh wheelset comes to almost twice that, and makes for a 42 lb bike :eek:

Everyone will have different stuff work for them, it seems the Mutano is either love-it or hate-it for most people. At least they are cheap if it doesnt work out...

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
I've been running the Enduro Pro 2.4 2bliss on the rear of my Reign for a few months. It is heavy, but I've found that if you get the pressure just right, it rolls pretty well and offers great grip (XC & DH in Colorado conditions). Carcass is pretty stiff, but the knobs are very squirmy. I'm going to try one as a front tire soon.

I love this UST thing. Haven't had a flat yet with this setup, and it used to be, "TTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" every other ride.

Edit: I should also add that there is a very good chance that your frame may not fit such a large tire.

·
Registered
177 Posts
rprice said:
I agree with Ray above, the Mutano 2.4 is not a good rocky condition tire. The sidewalls are very thin.

The Mutano 2.24 is actually beefier than the 2.4.

I ran a 2.4 on the front until the sidewall torn on rocks. For dry conditions it's nice because of the volume but overall it's too flimsy for my riding.
how so? Ive read that twice now... the 2.24 are beefier and the 2.4 are lighter. I dont understand how this could be. thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
crgowo said:
how so? Ive read that twice now... the 2.24 are beefier and the 2.4 are lighter. I dont understand how this could be. thanks.
The 2.24 has a different, beefier tread and seems to have a thicker casing. More rubber = more weight.

·
Registered
177 Posts
so if it has a different tread how does it perform compared to the 2.4. I ask because Ive read good things about the mutano and also read its great for dry areas like on my local trails. But dont think the 2.4 will fit on my frame. So wanted to try it, but now im not sure if its the 2.4 everyone is talking about that is so great.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I weigh 180 lbs. I've used the Mutano's 2.4 both front and rear with good results in the rocky rooty northeast. I'm surprised that it works so well on the rear. I've also used the Enduro 2.2 tire during the summer months when trails were hard and dry. Squirmy tread and very hard to pedal although you don't feel the squirminess in loose or soft conditions - they are still too hard to pedal. The big Enduro tire does roll good over knarly rock gardens though.If I was riding over basketball sized rocks all day long, I would choose the Enduros over the Mutanos By the way the Enduro 2.2 is wider than the Mutano 2.4

Don

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,801 Posts
Update: my Mutanos have proven to be a little too light-duty. The rear wore really fast and the sidewall threads got torn up pretty quick too. It was just ok for the front, but I switched out the front for a 2.4 Nobby Nic, and the rear for a 2.35 Minion 60a wirebead. The performance is A LOT better, the rolling resistance is up a bit, but the tradeoff is worth it so far... also, it turns out my bike came with the wirebead version of the Mutanos, which are a lot heavier than the folding version I bought. I don't think you can buy the wirebead anymore.

As far as performance of the 2.4 Mutanos, there ok in the rear, but grip for climbing in loose stuff is not too good. On the front, they do not have the ultimate grip that the NN and others have in most conditions. They are light and roll well, but the rear didnt hold up, and overall performance does suffer a bit compared to many other tires. I still think they would be a good choice for many applications, though. I have abused them on a 6" bike with a Boxxer Ride over some very rocky trails, experimenting with finding faster lines at the expense of taking the smoothest lines. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.