Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At supergo one of the tech told me those were 2 big and the tire flex would hit the frame. So they do work eh? :) yay if they do can someone else confirm so i can go ahead and buy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Mutanoraptors 2.4 really measured out to be 2.1" wide. This tire is on my brother's 04 Stumpy FSR right now and there is 3/8" of clearance. Hopefully your wheel is not flexing that much.

Other WTB Raptors 2.4 tires seem larger than the Mutanoraptors 2.4.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
aztec said:
Thanks alot guys am going to go ahead and place my order :) ohh and by the way what do you guys think of those tires?
The Mutanoraptor 2.4's are 2.4 inches tall but not as wide on XC rims, about 1/8thinch narrower, about 2.25 really. They actually ride well with 5 psi lower pressure than a true 2.4 wide tire can in my experience, I think that wider tires wallow sideways more on narrow rims than wider tires with the same air pressure.

The Mutanoraptor 2.4's are the fastest rolling tire I've ridden by far and they have better traction on hardpack and loose dirt over hardpack than other "low rolling resistant" tires. I'm consistently climbing and riding in 1 or 2 gears higher than other "low rolling resistant" tires. They are very smooth rolling and add to ride quality. They shed mud very well compared to most tires, but they are duel compound and the hard very long wearing center compound is scary slippery on wet rocks and roots (I still use one on the rear in the wet months, but a stickier rubber tire on the front).

But they are lightweight and not as good as heavier and larger knob tires in very rocky desert like conditions, the Motoraptor 2.4's are much better for those conditions. The old Velociraptors are the best wet-use tires WTB makes in my experience, but there are many better wet-use tires from other makers. WTB doesn't make a very sticky rubber tire.

- ray

·
Registered
36 Posts
Derby, the suspension guru, may be right about the Mutanos measuring larger on non-XC rims. On my XC rims, they are about 2.1" wide and high.

I, too, like the Mutanos for their relative low rolling resistance, light weight, large volume and decent traction.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Derby, I couldn't have said it better myself. There is a bit of wallow in my rear 2.4 mutanoraptor at any pressure if I am leaned hard or berm a corner (moreso than any other tire), but the front is planted for my 165 pound weight, no matter which fork or terrain or body position.

No problems over the past year with mine. The "size" gets it overlooked by many, but other than the wet stuff, the tire is awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts