Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting on a front disc brake. (Currently running Avid Mags on my 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Comp.) I was alerted to this option for light and reasonably affordable disc XC wheels.

Odds & Endos WTB Front Wheel

I found an XT front disc brake new for $50, and was thinking of this wheel-looks like it would be at least $80 cheaper than a comparable wheel with a King hub.

Has anyone used these wheels and hubs? What do you think?

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
I'm currently using this combo front and rear. Couldn't be happier with Mike Garcia's service. So far they have performed great for me (2 months). I know in my wet climate (lower Alabama), they will require more service than King's. The main reason I switched to these was the flexy nature of my stock front wheel (Spec. stout/skraxle). Now the front brake doesn't howl like it used to. These are my first set of custom built wheels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the WTB Lazer discs w/ 717s from Mike at odds and endos: hard riding, racing, rocks, etc. for the past 4-5 months, no problems exc. when a large rock went through the spokes and broke one... but I had a spare since Mike always sends some with the wheelset. Great guy to deal with.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I ran a VXC/American Classic disc hub (basically the same as the WTB) for two years until I folded it on a very bad landing (front wheel first and sideways then hit a tree) at speed. Not the wheel's fault.

Works beautifully, I change the bearings every year (Mike has them a very good prices). Still using the hub with a new rim.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy??? said:
I ran a VXC/American Classic disc hub (basically the same as the WTB) for two years until I folded it on a very bad landing (front wheel first and sideways then hit a tree) at speed. Not the wheel's fault.

Works beautifully, I change the bearings every year (Mike has them a very good prices). Still using the hub with a new rim.
Thanks for the reply. I had almost concluded that the AC/WTB hubs were perhaps not the ones to buy for Oregon weather- some of the reviews comment that these hubs aren't sealed all that well. But it sounds like you have had good luck- changing bearings once a year sure isn't overly maintenance intensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.