Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CRC has the 2008 WTB laser lite hubs for ~$34 front and ~$73 rear making the set under $110 before shipping.

i personally called WTB (excellent cust. service by the way) and asked specifically what the difference was between the 2008 hubs and the 2009/2010s. he said the only thing is the move from 2008 to 2009 to stainless bearings which he added can be ordered from WTB for $20 per hub if you want to upgrade.

these hubs are already some of the lightest hubs for the money and this just makes the deal better. i picked up a set to build a budget but still light 29er wheelset that should come in around 1700g with Arches. when these bearings go I will rebuild them with the stainless bearings. there is a ton of info on rebuilding them available as well.

cheers.

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
Sorry no disrespect but those WTB laser lite hubs are garbage. Came stock on my old bike. Had them less than 6 months and the rear just started wobbling and came apart. Took them to my local shop and the mechanic there pretty much said the same thing. Bearings in those hubs were crap too. The only positive thing was they were super light.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Meyah...but...

honkonbobo said:
CRC has the 2008 WTB laser lite hubs for ~$34 front and ~$73 rear making the set under $110 before shipping.

i personally called WTB (excellent cust. service by the way) and asked specifically what the difference was between the 2008 hubs and the 2009/2010s. he said the only thing is the move from 2008 to 2009 to stainless bearings which he added can be ordered from WTB for $20 per hub if you want to upgrade.

these hubs are already some of the lightest hubs for the money and this just makes the deal better. i picked up a set to build a budget but still light 29er wheelset that should come in around 1700g with Arches. when these bearings go I will rebuild them with the stainless bearings. there is a ton of info on rebuilding them available as well.

cheers.
16 point freehub engagement sucks something awful... especially on a 29er with a granny gear.

I would be all over a set if it had 24pt or better. 24 pt is borderline acceptable for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts