Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my first DH bike this next week. I've been riding rather aggressively on my AM bikes for the past year. This includes lots of shuttles, parks and just lots of aggressive riding. I am a fairly light weight dude, fluctuating between 130-145lbs. The bike I got (used) has a pretty heavy wheelset and I'd like to swap it out for something lighter. Luckily I already have a Hadley x ex823 for the front and am not strongly considering putting a hadley out back with a wtb i25 freq team rim. I have a good price on the rim ($40), so it would save me a good chunk over another ex823. However, I am worried that frequent big hits (I do big jumps, drops, etc) would just tear up the rim. I've off and on had an i23 on the rear of my AM bike and it ended up with a dent rather fast, but still held air tubeless. However, i tended to swap it out for the ex823 rimmed wheel for more gnarly days.

I am on a rather limited budget, hence the reason the i25 seemed so appealing. I plan on running it tubeless with UST tires.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm running i25, this is also my first DH bike, running tubes in them right now and no issues yet, only 2 rides on it so far though, I'm 145.

On my AM bike I had i23's and to low of pressure in rock gardens I dented the rear in quite a few spots and then flatted the rim, blasting through a rock garden, they did hold fine dented tubeless with a flatted rim(rim was even partially cracked), didn't even know till I got home and found 2 loose spokes, swapped the rear out to i25 and have 10 rides on that and so far so good.

If i was to do it over again I would probably just spend the extra money and go 823, I had 819's prior and they were way more dent resistant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts