Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't have one, but I'm curious to what you're looking for. I'll probably be looking for one this year as well.
Probably a Super Deluxe, worked well on the Smash, but I'm gonna "spring" for an MRP progressive spring.

I'd go for a Fox to match my fork :)

I don't dislike air shocks, but having had both on the Smash and having an air shock now on the Shred (Fox Float Elite), I kinda feel like GG bikes are optimized around a coil.

So has anyone tried a 2019 Marzocchi Bomber CR? Price is right, limited adjustability, a tad heavy, but half the price of a Fox; Fox is $$$

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,128 Posts
For what it's worth, Craig at Avalanche thinks the Bomber CR is the best in the business for value and tune ability. It's not great out of the box (slightly better than SD Coil) but for $250 he can make a Bomber CR rival some of the best shocks available.

Low initial cost (under $350 new)
Larger midvalve style main piston (27 mm same as 11-6)
Shimable compression adjuster design for tuning high speed harshness out.
Compact light weight design that fits nearly all frames.
Compatible with most aftermarket springs as well as Fox's new SLS springs.
Works with all hardware reducer options and RWC needle bearings.
Available in standard sizes, metric sizes and trunnion mount.
Reconfigurable mix and match parts for eye2eye and stroke changes.
Set it and forget it tuning simplicity.

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
For what it's worth, Craig at Avalanche thinks the Bomber CR is the best in the business for value and tune ability. It's not great out of the box (slightly better than SD Coil) but for $250 he can make a Bomber CR rival some of the best shocks available.

Low initial cost (under $350 new)
Larger midvalve style main piston (27 mm same as 11-6)
Shimable compression adjuster design for tuning high speed harshness out.
Compact light weight design that fits nearly all frames.
Compatible with most aftermarket springs as well as Fox's new SLS springs.
Works with all hardware reducer options and RWC needle bearings.
Available in standard sizes, metric sizes and trunnion mount.
Reconfigurable mix and match parts for eye2eye and stroke changes.
Set it and forget it tuning simplicity.
That's what I read, sounds good to me, the SD wasn't bad, so this is a nice inexpensive option with potential.

Sounds like RS coils fit the Bomber...

Ordered from WW Cycles: $340 with mounting bushings, gonna try my existing coils from SD, maybe get an MRP Progressive Coil.

GG will sell components at a discount to customers who are re-outfitting a GG bike, in which case the Hazzard with a standard steel coil is $550. Between adding hardware, a progressive coil, and shipping this would carry me into the $700 ranger, to much for a second shock esp if I add a progressive coil. Also save myself $60 by using my existing coils...

Review to follow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.