Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I will be building up a rear wheel soon for my Rush and will be needing the new WTB rim.
When will these be available? And does anyone have any info on the ERD dimension for spoke length. My Stans is 564mm. I am hoping it will be very close to this since my plan is to disassemble my front wheel and use the Stans rim for the rear and the WTB for the front. Stans seems to work good for me in the rear because of the low lip and I get less rim dings and piches because of that. The WTB rim will be great for the front with its tire bead lock so no more burping (which seems to be an issue for the front only for me).

Thanks for any info.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
derby said:
Bead lock probably only works well with a tube pressing the bead. .
So its not like a UST bead lock? It looks very similar. You must mean that the bead lock would not work without a tube because the bead is not UST?

derby said:
For your constant sharp rock conditions, someday there will be a light weight closed cell foam tube like dirt moto race bikes use now.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Mousse-Flat-Proof-Competition-Foam-Tube.aspx.
You know Derby, I was daydreaming about this very thing the other day. It makes total sense and I wonder why someone hasn't made them for Mnt bike tires. From the description, they appear to be tire specific...that could be why.

derby said:
650b needs UST rims and beads....
YES!!!

I guess you've heard nothing about the WTB rim's availability.
What do you think about it? Looks kind of burly.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
yogiprophet said:
So its not like a UST bead lock? It looks very similar. You must mean that the bead lock would not work without a tube because the bead is not UST?

You know Derby, I was daydreaming about this very thing the other day. It makes total sense and I wonder why someone hasn't made them for Mnt bike tires. From the description, they appear to be tire specific...that could be why.

I guess you've heard nothing about the WTB rim's availability.
What do you think about it? Looks kind of burly.
Now I see what you are referring to as a bead lock in this cross section picture of a WTB LaserDisc rim. The rim shoulder's inside rise might help some with clincher bead tires converted tubeless. And probably work even better with UST and TR beads.

WTB seems to be stalling in their 650b production. Probably due to the current terrible economic conditions. I've built and beat up my own 26" WTB Laserdisc wheels many years ago and found them very solid rims, round, and easy to build, and the XC version held up well under my heavy weight and rocky riding. They had a tall outer diameter and even WTB's own brand tires were difficult to mount (which is a good thing to prevent blow-offs of clincher bead tires converted tubeless).

I was comparing a Neo-moto bead with a Kenda Nevegal 650b bead, and the Neo-moto is more square and wider at the base of the bead, closer to UST or TR than the Kenda bead.

The dirt motorcycle closed cell foam tubes may be too heavy for trail bikes where there is much climbing. I bet we see this for DH/FR 26" bikes soon, so it could trickle into AM use. Like you said, they do need to be made for spec size tires which would limit availability.

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
derby, those moto foam tube deals you're talking about are probably the Michelin Bib Mousse. Yes, they are heavy, and they are usually only applied desert racing. Oddly they aren't all that popular even in desert racing. At the shop, I've noticed that all the foam based inner tube setups I've seen tend to beat up the spokes on a bicycle wheel. The moto wheels are a lot more durable with humongous spokes. Bicycle wheels seem to self-destruct with the foam inserts.

The new tubeless deal for dirt motors is the Nuetech tubeless system. It's oddly similar to the rim strip system in concept, except for the strip being an inflatable inner liner that's a lot tougher. It keeps the tire bead cinched down to the rim. I've been using this setup on my KLX250 for several months now. I just finished a 10-day desert off road trip earlier this month, and the system worked flawlessly.

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
UST just keeps making best sense for bicycle tubeless bead locking.

It would be very difficult to mount tires with "pre-inflated" foam tubes.

I just read some on the Nuetech tubeless system. It says no sealant required and they can run flat. I guess you could add sealant for preventing flats from thorns.
http://www.nuetech.com/reviews.shtml

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
yep, I run tubeless Slime in my DOT full knobbies. I normally hate Slime, but it really does work well for beefy tubeless tires like ATV, lawn equipment, etc. I've run mine at 70 mph with no balance issues or other problems. It's funny that we've been running tubeless mountainbike setups for years now, and dirt motorcycles are just now really nailing it down. This has been the best concept I've seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.