Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes,

I took the SRAM cassette off me WTB dual duity 29er yesterday and saw that it had eaten in to the freehub body after only 4 months. Shock and Horror!!! All the biger cogs had gouged it out.

Anyone know whassup widat?

Is it Alumiwatsitcalled?

Is it my 180 cranks?

Oh wait, is it my awesome power? Crap. It's probably my awesome power.

-M

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I've got LaserDisc Lite hubs on my Lobster, and I had the same problem when going single with old cassette cogs. I went to switch out before a race and the cog had eaten halfway into a 'spine' on the cassette body.

I have since switched to King singlespeed cogs, because they have a much wider base. I really like the hubs, and they are really light, but I'd take a few gram penalty for a more durable cassette body.

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like switching to the XT cassette would do it. It has the full spline instead of 9 individual cogs bolted together.

We you getting any creaking from your old setup?

-M

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I would imagine that would help you a lot. That way, all of the cogs are 'working together', and spreading the pressure.

I wasn't getting any creaking. I simply went to change it right before a race to spin an easier gear. I ended up borrowing a friend's Seven 29er (geared) for the race with about 5 minutes to spare.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Am I the only oen with engagement/body drag issues on his rear Laserdisc Lite hub?
And anyone else have a rattling front hub, which I guess is ruined bearings? The rubbers on my front hub are in a sort of a hoolahoop, not really keep any dirt out right now.

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
None of those here. I've had creaking issues which I've assumed was the BB. But maybe not... I'll find out as soon as I locate the rest of the cogs for that XT cassette.

Call warranty.

-M

·
Only dead people are old
699 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Am I the only oen with engagement/body drag issues on his rear Laserdisc Lite hub?
And anyone else have a rattling front hub, which I guess is ruined bearings? The rubbers on my front hub are in a sort of a hoolahoop, not really keep any dirt out right now.
I've had 2 sets of WTB Laser Lite disc hubs with no problems. Still have one set. The hub body is soft and only a wide-base cog should be used for SS. I run the Endless Bike Co - KAC on it and found it to work very well. I have not tried other wide-base cogs (Boone or King), but I am sure that each would work well also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.