Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15 of us showed up on a cool humid morning. Worked on a reroute around a mud pit. The trail used an old logging road that has become worse over the past few years. The next phase will be building retaining walls around 2 trees. Also beat back some brush and improved some drains. Only sow 1 runner and 3 riders. Took a bike for a test ride to check my drain dips. New trail seem kind of wide but give it a few years of plant growth and it will be just about right. Next work party 7/25 Big thanks to 2 other riders that showed up.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Dave, a nice touch I always use when digging outslope like that is to revegetate the lower side with ferns that were dug out to re-establish the line and make it look less offensive on the eyeys right away. Throw some random sticks, leaves, etc on the open soil as well to help retain it and "hide" the recent work. Even just a few ferns up on the outer lip of the trail will help keep people up on the solid bench work. Also nice to see a good inslope above instead of the 90 degree chopped in look.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure the old trail will be obliterated when the time comes.
Lead a ride there today. Some bumps on the new reroute south of Grand Ridge Drive caused by settling, should smooth out in a few months. Just a few tiny mud patches. The bush is closing in on the section down to Ewok Forest (bog). A few stinging nettles here and there.

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Most of the bumps on the reroute south of Grand Ridge Drive are from the horses that hit the trail over the past 1-1/2 months. It was smooth and buttery before they came through (maybe only 4 or 5 of them total). They went right through the crust of the fresh trail. I realize it is a multi-use trail, but it was just a little too soon for the unpacked soil. Other than that, I am loving Grand Ridge these days - it is fast and dosn't require alot of braking, as the flow and corners keep your speed in check. The workout to entertainment ratio is perfectly balanced with lots of hill in both directions...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bridge building last week of this month! If it slows down I will take a day off work. Start location is w/ in walking distance of Issaquah Highlands P & R. Also noticed orange paint and stakes at Exit 18 parking lot. If it's blocked off for construction please let us know.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Dave. After riding by that spot and then up and over it on the way back., I have to say that the re-route up the hill makes absolutely no sense. Just how muddy was the lower part really getting to warrant such a short section of trail that much higher up?

Just asking.

Seems like all that precious labor resource could have been put to better use other places on the trail.

That said, the South switchbacks were real nice and well done. Except for the two very obvious off camber switchbacks... :) Thanks for the labor.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

One of 3 bridge stringer 45' long. One has to be move about 500' from where it was cut. Going to take lots more work to build this thing.

Led a ride there today 2 flats and one taccoed wheel. Trail is getting popular but still not crowded. Switchbacks are getting dusty so be careful.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WTA will be back on the job the last week of this month. This is a really cool muscle powered construction project. If work stays slow I will sign up for Friday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.