Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been going around some threads here, but I haven't seen definite answers so far, especially for the case of my rims and terrain type, particularly.

I have Stan's Flow Ex 25.5 inner width rims on the front, and SunRinglé Inferno 25.5 inner width rims on the rear.

The terrain pattern in my local trails is mostly gravel/loose/loose over hard and a few rocky parts.

So I am looking for lower pressures in order to get a better grip and traction.

I currently use a Minion DHF 2.3 up front and Michelin Wild Grip 2.35 in the back, but as they are getting worn I'm planning to switch to DHR II 2.4 WT rear and DHF 2.5 WT front.

Will these rims be a bottleneck for the performance of these tires? Will I be able to ride just fine with them at lower pressures? I'm 5'11, 170 lbs btw, if that matters for this.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'd say get them and try them. If you want to spend the money and take the weight hit, you can always get some cushcore inserts and run really low pressure. My understanding is that the inserts also help prevent fold over at low pressures in addition to protecting rims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that these WT tires on rims with internal widths lower than 30mm can get a rounder shape, thus increasing that transition channel, pushing the side knobs further out, and demanding a greater lean when cornering. That could be hindered a little by lowering the tire pressure. I just don't know how much of a difference it would be.

Anyways, I just purchased the 2.5 WT DHF. I'll put it to test on the 25.5mm Stans Flow EX as soon as it arrives, and then I'll post my impressions here.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The issue is the rounder profile. As you lower the pressure, effectively, under the flat part of the tire, that squares it off a bit, as it lowers the side knobs down to the ground. I think it's more of an issue up front than on the back.

I've run 29x2.5 WT Aggressors in back at 18 psi on 30 mm rims and currently run them on 27 mm rims without issue. On the front, in both cases, I'm running 29x2.6 WT DHF's up front at around 14 psi. I'm 155-160 pounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I'm going to use a 2.3 DHF that is sitting on my garage just waiting to pair with the 2.5 DHF on the front. The rear set going to be just fine. I'm worried about the front one. I'll test it and see if it goes well on corners. I ride in very loose terrain (too many gravel and other loose over hard corners), and maybe that won't be a big problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.