Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm the newest noob here. I just spent way too much time searching so I decided to post. Here's the deal:

My wife and I have both ridden pretty seriously together since about 1999. I used to work at a shop in UT while we were in college, and she got the bug. We both rode GF Sugars (I had the opportunity to proform GF, Cannondale, Jamis and RockyMtn at the shop). She has a 2000 Sugar 3, the year before they came out with the Genesisters model. Now she has the bug to race (even though we're now in MI, with NO MOUNTAINS...Bah!) but since having our son, she's said her bike isn't as comfortable or even tolerable as it was before. I wanted to upgrade her bike significantly for her birthday this spring to encourage her racing itch, but now I'm wondering if it would just be better to go WSD for her? I could fudge it with a shorter/steeper stem, scoot her seat closer, etc, but sometimes there's just no substitute for a bike that fits right.

Any thoughts? Also, when I left the shop in 2003, the only people making WSD bikes that I know of were GF, Cdale, Specialized, Trek and Giant. I've found some others from my searching, is there a list compiled somewhere of the mfgs that make WSD bikes now?

Thanks for reading this monster

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'll just get this comment over with for everyone...you're gonna have to bring her in on the decisions..SHE needs to try everything out and decide what's comfortable for HER...not YOU deciding what's comfortable for HER...even if you want it to be a secret, forget it...you need her input...

my old man tends to pick up stuff for me because his friends that work at a shop "bro him down" stuff for cheap...I would rather pay full price and pick my own stuff out and make it more about being something that I'M into rather than something my husband gets me/or keeps me into...make sure it stays her passion and not yours for her...

other than that...there are some things that work better being WSD and others that don't really matter...a frame depends on her body type, not necessarily that she's a woman...

·
black & blue
235 Posts
Don't fall into the trap of having to look for a WSD only; it really limits your choices. I have never owned a WSD bike (I've owned 3 bikes all together) and I've never had problems getting a frame to fit - I'm 5'4" with a shorter torso. There are plenty of frames out there that are sized smaller and with shorter top tubes that are not women-specific. Have her try everything out there - that's part of the fun!

If she's into DH, she might like my bike - I have an Intense 6.6, which may be plenty of bike to tackle any DH trails you both ride. It's been perfect for me as an all-around trail bike that I can put bigger tires on when I want to ride DH!

For fit, I've also had good luck with Kona and Jamis. I've also heard good things about Santa Cruz.

Good luck! And have fun trying out all those bikes out there! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, um ok. Sorry I didn't totally clarify the situation. There's only one bike shop in town (I worked there for a couple months when we first moved here) and Jamis is their only real bike brand, and they sell more comfort bikes than anything. We don't have the luxury of riding everything out there like we did in CO & UT. Plus, my wife is even cheaper than I am, and if I wanted to spend more than $1500, she'd feel guilty just for riding it.

Most likely I will be scouring ebay and other places for upgrades/frames/bikes. I really just wanted a list of WSD manufacturers to broaden my search since I've been out of the bike loop for 4 years now.

And for the fiesty beotch: it IS her passion more than mine. I prefer my dirt bikes motorized now that I have no mountains to enjoy. It's no fun pedalling on flat trails. She's the one with the drive, and I'm just the mechanic now.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
At 5'6" shes maybe an inch shorter than me.
What size is her current bike, is probably the first question that pops to mind?
And apart from that you will have to determine if it's her way of saying "hint, hint" that she's ready for a new bike. If the bug has really bitten her and shes looking at racing perhaps she har realized that she's outgrown her current bike or it's not quite right any more. In saying that maybe you can get more specific info from her - is her seat bugging her? numb hands?

I'm 5'7" and under 130lb (around 60kg,) and I ride a 16" Trance. I've found that getting a suitable saddle (specialized avatar gel 155 for me) and getting the bar / stem right were the most important aspects to make it comfy (90mm stem, low rise bar). Standover clearance was fine and I purchased the bike without ever setting a leg over as the lbs like yours mainly sold rec bikes and didn't have a huge amount of floor stock in the more expensive ones.

I've noticed that wsd bikes don't differ hugely and seem to be mainly designed for women who happen to be significantly smaller (torso/reach/standover). Wether you look at wsd models depends largely wether she has short arms or short legs. I guess to an extent it also depends on your budget (wsd is probably dearer). If shes of normal proportions then it's possible that wsd may not even suit better than mainstream.

I would say consider wsd & mainstream comparing the geometry to determine if theres much difference. And you already mentioned all the brands that I knew of who make wsd bikes apart from maybe Titus and Santa Cruz? but those brands mean it will cost plenty of $$

Some of the ladies on this site seem to like their wsd bikes, could be worth having a look....

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That helps, thanks. The little voice inside my head says the bike doesn't feel right anymore because we haven't ridden more than a few times in the last 3 years. Racing is her way of getting motivated to ride hard again. It may or may not really happen. She used to kick my butt, so I don't doubt her ability. She is athletically built, with bigger hands and wider shoulders than other women (if you're thinking of a football player right now, squeeze that down to a volleyball player that plays softball on weekends, and you'd have the right picture.)

I guess we'll have to get out the tape measure and get down to the nitty gritty, but I'd guess she's on the shorter arms side, normal legs, and a little longer torso. Which may be why Genesis geometry felt right in the first place. Her Sugar is a Medium, which typically translates to 17", so if you're an inch taller and riding a 16", it looks like she should consider downsizing.

Thanks for your input, we both love shopping for bikes, it's just harder to do without the bikes in front of us now.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
irieness said:
I'll just get this comment over with for everyone...you're gonna have to bring her in on the decisions..SHE needs to try everything out and decide what's comfortable for HER...not YOU deciding what's comfortable for HER...even if you want it to be a secret, forget it...you need her input...
i was just going to say the same thing...could not agree with you more!!! :) get the woman a gift certificate and a weekend mtb trip after she gets her new bike! :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Keep in mind that sizes do differ between brands. Prior to this I was riding a 17" Specialized Hardrock Comp (2001 model) which was my first bike & so sized by the lbs. It was pretty much a quick test ride & I'll take it thankyou very much - sooo much better than the kmart bike!
Anyway apart from wanting better suspension I couldn't help but feel that it may have been just a tad on the big side for me.
I tried out a Trek Fuel 70 15.5" and it felt great & nimble but the seat post was almost out of the seatstay to get it to the right height - way past the min insertion mark!

Here are a few links you may find useful if you're doing measurements & determining bike fit etc.

https://www.habcycles.com/stemfit.jpg
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html#gloss_bo-z.html#bottom
https://www.zinncycles.com/stemFit.aspx

Wrench Science is a good one - you will have to create a user name & password to use their fit system - basically enter a bunch of measurements & it gives you an idea of the correct sized bike, ideal reach etc.

https://www.wrenchscience.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Secure/Fit/Height.aspx?stylecode=M&stylecode=M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
energetix, you have been most helpful! Those are exactly the types of links I was looking for. Small world, my wife's first bike was also a Specialized Hard Rock, a 16.5" I believe, of '98 vintage. Good enough to get serious with, we did Moab, Gooseberry, a bunch of UT singletrack, and then I weasled my way into the bike shop and we went FS. We got her sugar first, then mine a year later.

We talked about this last night, and determined we'll mess with the setup of her Sugar first, and if it just doesn't feel right, it gets the boot and a new bike replaces it. Thanks again for the info! I can't believe how fast the bike world changes in just 4 years of being out of the loop! I'm sure we'll be on this forum from now on. I noticed yesterday there's a whole section of reviews for Michigan trails, so now I have nothing to whine about anymore:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
ninjawah said:
I noticed yesterday there's a whole section of reviews for Michigan trails, so now I have nothing to whine about anymore:)
Have you visited the site www.mmba.org ? It's the michigan mountain bike association and they have all the trails listed, current status, whether or not it's closed, etc. They have all the races listed, group rides, events, trail days, blah blah blah. The forum is pretty active also. It's definitely a good resource for michigan mountain biking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geometry calculator is a good help too, thanks:thumbsup:

Yeah, we've discovered mmba.org, and it's one of those sites where we think "Sweet!" and then forget about it. There are 2 decent trails within an hour of us, the rest are a couple hours to get to. But we're just whiners. In UT a spectacular ride with long climbs and 40mph descents was always right up the canyon. And places like Moab and Gooseberry were actually worth the drive. Plus I'm a wuss. I've noticed here that I actually get more tired riding flat ground than up and down hills because I never get a chance to rest.

As for vacation, we both have sisters getting married this summer, one in CO, and the other in VA, so we could bike shop then, but that would kill 2-3 months of riding in the spring. We'll figure it out.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
ninjawah said:
And for the fiesty beotch: it IS her passion more than mine. I prefer my dirt bikes motorized now that I have no mountains to enjoy. It's no fun pedalling on flat trails. She's the one with the drive, and I'm just the mechanic now.
lol...my custom title should be used by people I have a joking relationship with already...:thumbsup: you :nono: you can call me irieness...:rolleyes: ;)

and if you had actually searched this topic like you said...you would understand why I wanted to make that point clear...now unwedge your panties out of your vagina...:)

btw...maybe you could show her the way to this forum...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.