Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've instaled a FSA 68X113 BB on my chamy with a 170 mm FSA Vdrive xtreme crankset.......

the problem,,,,when the crank flex , the right crank arm rub agaist the chainstay

should i upgrade to a 68X118BB??

·
Daddy of 3 now!
261 Posts
same problem...

ErrAzIb said:
i've instaled a FSA 68X113 BB on my chamy with a 170 mm FSA Vdrive xtreme crankset.......

the problem,,,,when the crank flex , the right crank arm rub agaist the chainstay

should i upgrade to a 68X118BB??
swap it out if it rubs the wide chainstays.
My chameleon had no problem with a 113mm, but had issues with square taper on my Heckler. I'll assume diff. brand crank arms are spec'd diff., but I just went wider with a 118mm, but now the chainline looks really stretched. The only prob. is now that I have to drop to the small ring when I use a higher gear in back. Most of the time I'm in the middle front and middle back so it works for me, oh well !

·
Registered
868 Posts
The chameleon is built with a 47.5 to 50mm chainline in mind.

The frame determines what bb shell width to use (68mm on chameleon) and the crankset determines which spindle size to use. You may want to contact FSA to see what they recommend to achieve a 47.5 to 50mm chainline since that's where your shifting will be ideal.

You will probably be ok with a 118mm, I don't think you will push the chainline out far enough that it will cause a problem. The other option is to make the crankarms clear the stays like you can see in the attached picture of this V10, although I would try the 118mm first.

The right side crank arm is ground down so that it clears the stays. You can see it between the downtube and the shock in this picture.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.