Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ride, Race, Live
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fork is a 2016 Pike RCT3 160mm non boost
Last year I put in (shop put in) a new Debonair air spring.
A month or so ago I had the fork serviced.
When I aired up the spring to set sag I put in my standard 65 or so PSI, and when I sat on it I got somethinhg like 10% movement.
I also noticed LSC knob would just spin after reassembly.
We pulled the fork apart again and noticed the top of the LSC screw was broken. SRAM doesn't sell individual parts so we got a new 2.1 Charger damper.
I thought maybe the damage damper had something to do with the low air pressure.
Once again when I set air pressure in order to hit the desired SAG I'm running 45 PSI and I weigh 185 lbs. That's almost half what the recommend PSI is for the new spring/damper set up.
I thought maybe it has to do with all the new seals, and maybe it would break in.
I've now got a 100 miles of hard riding including Tahoe shuttles, and a day at Northstar and nothing has changed.
The fork does not feel right.
Big hits are fine, but the small hits like a sniper rock, or slow speed roots bumps me off line instead of absorbing.
Any idea what could be going on inside?
It has to be on the air side, because the new 2.1 comes as one piece. You just drop it it.
Did something get reassembled wrong?

I'm heading to Sedona on Thursday and I'm a little nervous to go rock crawling on a to stiff fork.

Thanks for any insight

·
Ride, Race, Live
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Negative air isn't working. Could be the wrong air-shaft so the piston isn't reaching the equalisation port.
Negative air is what I was thinking too, but more likely blocked.
We installed the debonair spring last year and it worked fine.
I'll pull the lowers and check the little divit.

·
Ride, Race, Live
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the lowers, and didn't see anything out of place. I checked teh Debonair air spring vs the old piece I still have, and they are the same length.
After reassembly I'm now using 60ish PSI to hit 25% sag.
That's better than the 40ish for sure but still not at the recommended.
I know it's just a starting point but it still seems low.
I have no clue what changed between taking the lowers off, and reassembly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.