Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EBRPD staff is now evaluating a proposal to allow bicycles on a trail (that is currently only open to hikers and horses) next to the Alhambra Creek Staging Area entry road in Briones Regional Park. EBRPD seeks your feedback on this proposal and will accept written comments through January 9, 2009. Staff will hold a public meeting to present and discuss this proposal on the evening of January 6, 2009, 7:00 pm and invites you to attend. Please see the attached announcement for details. Background documents are posted on the Park District's website, as described in the attachment. Please write to:

Raphael Breines
Senior Park Planner
East Bay Regional Park District
2950 Peralta Oaks Court
Oakland, CA 94605

·
Banned
167 Posts
oparks said:
EBRPD staff is now evaluating a proposal to allow bicycles on a trail
Do you know who proposed opening this tasty bit of singletrack to cyclists?

Is this just the EBRPD "throwing a bone" to cyclists or did "mountain bikers" actually go to the effort of proposing this section of stunning trail be "opened" to bikes?

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete Fagerlin said:

Is this just the EBRPD "throwing a bone" to cyclists or did "mountain bikers" actually go to the effort of proposing this section of stunning trail be "opened" to bikes?
It was proposed by a local rider who couldn't understand how come he couldn't ride the trail and had to ride the road 2' away. Yeah it's a meatless bone.

Every year BTCEB suggestion a couple of trail we'd like to see open. But if you're actually interested in riding a trail there's no change it'll get open - the deck is so stacked against us. In '07 EBRPD staff refused to consider opening Stream Trail in Redwood Regional Park due to "Lack of capacity" and "Stream trail users tend to be older...and the trail cannot accommodate bicycle traffic... because of the limited mobility of existing users and lack of trail passing room." (Stream Trail is a fire road.)

This year EBRPD refused to look at Vollmer Peak in Tilden "because there is a high potential for Alameda whipsnake to occur on the Vollmer Peak Trail, [and] putting bicycles on this trail could increase the potential of bicycles running them over."

The worse of it is when EBRPD Board tell us how much they've done for cyclists in the past. Spare me the details on the $hit cow trails they've opened a million miles out in the boon docks.

But if you're a local and Briones is your park, it'll be better to ride the dirt than the road.

Of course if anyone has a better trail they'd like to see open, it's easy enough to put together a proposal (like the one John put together for Briones). We'll be putting together another round of trails in April.

·
Banned
167 Posts
oparks said:
Of course if anyone has a better trail they'd like to see open, it's easy enough to put together a proposal (like the one John put together for Briones).
Wow. That's wild.

When I first skimmed the post I thought it might be the fun trail that parallels Alhambra Creek "Trail" (fireroad) on the other side of the creek. What was I thinking? That trail isn't even on EBRPD's maps...

·
Paper or plastic?
10,729 Posts
The checklist is such a f... up process. If we ask for sh..ty trails where nobody ever goes, the chances of getting them are fairly good. But if we ask for anything remotely meaningful, we'll be shot down. That being said, any new trail is better than no trail, but it's a real exercise in frustration for the people who go and argue that stuff year after year, and long term prospects of meaningful change within the checklist are slim at best.

That being said, I'll shoot my e-mail to the powers that be to support the trail opening,

·
Uncle
4,390 Posts
Slightly O/T

Pete Fagerlin said:
Wow. That's wild.

When I first skimmed the post I thought it might be the fun trail that parallels Alhambra Creek "Trail" (fireroad) on the other side of the creek. What was I thinking? That trail isn't even on EBRPD's maps...
Actually, completely off topic:
Your avatar looks like some sort of hi-tech, state of the art, (ehm) "pump" of some sort.:eek: What is it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
La Honda Open Space is another good example. It is huge and is currently a cattle ranch. The people that work there ride ATV's to manage the cattle. Yet the verdict is No Bicycles. To much damage and they will scare the cows.

My Dad's tractor doesn't bother his cows and neither does my bike. 5,000 acres reserved for equestrians.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Leave Briones alone

We do not need any more attention to this trail. In my opinion with no "No Bike Signs "and some lose interpratation of trail map this trail needs no more attention.Please read back of Briones Trail Map. The tree branches are to low and a steep section keep the horses off it. Untill mt. bikes can get a strongh hold on east bay parks, some things are better off left alone. This just my opinion and I do believe in process. Just show me the net gain. As of now, there are two too many "no bike signs". Hores will win out in Briones, do you not get that!!! Put your energy into places like Crockett and banked park land.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Waste of time

Berkeley Mike said:
This is a no-brainer.:confused:
It still not that easy. The trail in question is the one from the hores facility to the parking lot.. Let the horsy folk have this one.. The trail is not that tastey and really does not add to your Briones expierecne. I rarely see hikers on it. It may be the most used horse trail in the park by horses. I do not even see many bike tracks on it. Do any regular Briones riders ever use it? Put the energy into the right area. Briones is a horse park...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Pete Fagerlin said:

pete, i normally don't 'engage' with you as i just get continually blasted, but i have to say i find your comments above really funny!!!

i've already voiced my support for the road side trail to raphael. this is one of those things that should be a slam dunk but isn't at the ebrpd board...maybe with the new board member we have a better shot at this as well as some other trails. if we really want to shoot for something we should ask for access to the singletrack trail that parallels the alhambra creek trail--no horses and that's the best trail in the park (from what i've heard...). but to stormhouse's point do we gain or lose by trying for this trail...i have no idea.

·
Registered
644 Posts
oparks said:
But if you're a local and Briones is your park, it'll be better to ride the dirt than the road.
I'm a local and I suppose Briones is my park...I don't think it's a stretch to say I ride there more than anyone else.

I don't agree that the dirt is better here and I think this is a waste of time over a trivial piece of trail. And someone took the time to do a Powerpoint on it :eekster: . If you don't want to ride the access road in just use the gate over on Tavan, you'll be on dirt quicker.

oparks said:
We'll be putting together another round of trails in April.
Please don't include anything in Briones in the next round.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Crocket Hills

Stormhouse said:
Put your energy into places like Crockett and banked park land.
BTCEB is working with EBRDP on the proposed singletrack network in Crocket Hills that Hilrdie is working on. If you didn't read about it in the last newsletter - join BTCEB so you'll get the cool newsletter. Or check the story out on their web siteout btceb.org/blog#post-26

When the Briones Trail was proposed (by a guy who rides the park with his teenage daughter and would rather ride the trail) all of the equestrian we spoke with didn't have any problems with the idea. Most didn't even know it was a legitimate trail, thought it was a social trail, and on private property. Obviously the District doesn't see it as a major problem either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.