Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently developed a sharp pain in my wrists. More severe on my left hand - the wrist area below the thumb. Anyway, it is starting to effect my daily..... life. When I lift something or articulate my wrist in such a way, the pain is sharp and very specific to an exact spot. This last year is the most I have ever ridden. And I do have a tendency to roll my wrists down while riding. Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? Should I get ergons?

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Bugger the ergons. See a professional.

You'll want to find what is wrong and correct it BEFORE it stops you from doing what you want to do.

I've lost the last two seasons to wrist issues.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
FIrst, yes, you should go see a Doctor.

Second, you should do something about your set-up but in baby steps. Drastic changes could make no difference or make things worse.

5 years ago I broke both my wrists and now have two plates in the right with many screws and one plate in the left with not as many screws. My range of motion and strength are ~100% but I did a few things to prevent complications or stresses.

I have found On One Mary Bars and Origin 8 Space Bars Place my wrist at a neutral angle near enough to the angle wrists are at when my arms are hanging relaxed at my side and then extend forward. That angle for the grip placement reduces any rotation or extension of the wrists, tendons and muscles which might lead to other things. Other bars might work well too, but these are two that work for me. On my road bikes I simply change hand positions frequently.

I tried using the stock grips on my Rig but found them thin. I then tried another that was thicker but it was too soft and wasn't supportive. Last spring I found a set of Ritchey True Grips which I had used back in the late 80's and early 90's. they bulge a bit in the center and fill my palm and provide support. I thought about Ergons and know riders who love theirs. Again, that's what is working for me.

Find a good Sports Med or better still, and exercise physiologist who can get you back on the bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.