Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have this done, and are you still able to ride effectively? More details: I broke my wrist bad 2 years ago in dominant right hand and have not been on a road/mtn bike since (pain, grip strength 25% of left hand). After malunion, the radius bone finally solidified 1.5 years post-injury but now the cartilage is gone in radius where it comes in contact with lunate, radius is shorter than ulna by about 5mm. Got a lot of opinions from top surgeons, both east/west coast (I'm in Seattle) and looks like best treatment option is a radioschapholunate fusion, a partial fusion (fusion of radius, schaphoid, lunate). I'll still have some mobility, likely +/- 20 degrees. Doc thinks this will last for 10-20 years then I'll need full fusion after the carpal joints get overloaded. I raced cat1 cross country, and at this point would be happy just to get back on a bike again (no racing needed - would enjoy mellow xc trails for mental therapy). I did some searching on the forums but didn't find anyone with my exact condition.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you can't ride with your current wrist condition then you have to do something. Maybe the fusion. Doc said you will have some mobiility and that might be enough.

I have had some experience in these areas. Neck C3-4-5 fusion, low back L1-2-S1 fusion. And proximal row carpectomy right (dominant) hand. The hand surgery was partially successful, in that the patient did not lose his hand. My right hand sucks but I still mountain bike fairly well.

So think about it, hold your breath and do the surgery.

Best wishes,
Terry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.