Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
I always use friction grease on stems and handlebars, no matter the material.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I’d double check the 2mm , I don’t know what wren specs. (Ritchey specs 2mm) Possibly the top cap is bottoming out on the steerer inhibiting bearing load. Most top caps have a “step” that goes inside of the stem. I’ve had that problem, felt fine in the shop but no go on the trails.
Just slap a thin spacer on top of the stem to test. Is the star nut deep enough? I’ve also failed on that account and the threads bottom out before full bearing load.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Mikeetheviking just showed me the Wren stems today, I had no idea about them but I'm intrigued and considering one for a new build!

I can't help wondering though, do you think they're a good idea for a 235lbs rider?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Mikeetheviking just showed me the Wren stems today, I had no idea about them but I'm intrigued and considering one for a new build!

I can't help wondering though, do you think they're a good idea for a 235lbs rider?
Until recently I was heavier than that and I've raced local enduros on my 40mm Wren stem. It's certified for DH after all.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
I ordered a stem from them and they're back to using T20 screws.
Old thread I know, but figured this email I got from Wren today could be helpful. Wren is back to T20 bolts full time, with no option (via them) for T25s:

"Our initial run of stems came with T25 bolts for convenience because many multi-tools have T25 wrenches. However, after further ISO testing we determined that the T20 bolts were stronger. As safety is always our first concern when designing our products, we immediately switched to T20. The replacements we offered, as mentioned in some articles, were T20 for T25 bolts. T25 bolts are no longer available.

Bolt specs:
Material: Chromoly steel
Size: M4
Length: 15 mm
Thread pitch: 0.7 mm
Head: Torx T20
"

·
monster member
953 Posts
Sorry to pull up an old thread, but I found this because I'm stem shopping. I read the original review link in the very first post and saw that they updated that review to say that the Wren stem had failed with the original smaller bolts.

I see ENVE makes a 100g stem for 35mm bars, but very pricey. (But fine with converting to 31.8mm since personally I think the 35mm thing is idiotic.)

I like my Uno 7 on my roadbike, but I see they don't make a short enough stem for the current long/low/slack mtbs. I'm interested in going a little shorter than my current 50mm... down to 40mm or 35mm I guess. (Because apparently I'm not loving the steeper STA trend so my saddle is almost all the way back.)

Any thoughts on 100g-stems for around $100 or so? It's a full-suspension xc/trail bike, so the stem won't take too bad of a beating. (Not as bad of harsh impacts as roadbike stems go through with no suspension and 80psi tires.)

EDIT- Not meaning to lock in at $100... I just mean cheaper than the $230 or so that ENVE costs for the CF stem. Honestly I'd be a bit embarrassed to show up with an ENVE stem in front of my friends it's so pricey... like showing up at a ride with gold chains around my neck. :)

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
Sorry to pull up an old thread, but I found this because I'm stem shopping. I read the original review link in the very first post and saw that they updated that review to say that the Wren stem had failed with the original smaller bolts.

I see ENVE makes a 100g stem for 35mm bars, but very pricey. (But fine with converting to 31.8mm since personally I think the 35mm thing is idiotic.)

I like my Uno 7 on my roadbike, but I see they don't make a short enough stem for the current long/low/slack mtbs. I'm interested in going a little shorter than my current 50mm... down to 40mm or 35mm I guess. (Because apparently I'm not loving the steeper STA trend so my saddle is almost all the way back.)

Any thoughts on 100g-stems for around $100 or so? It's a full-suspension xc/trail bike, so the stem won't take too bad of a beating. (Not as bad of harsh impacts as roadbike stems go through with no suspension and 80psi tires.)

EDIT- Not meaning to lock in at $100... I just mean cheaper than the $230 or so that ENVE costs for the CF stem. Honestly I'd be a bit embarrassed to show up with an ENVE stem in front of my friends it's so pricey... like showing up at a ride with gold chains around my neck. :)
The raceface turbine 31.8 and turbine R 35 are a bit above 100g and you should be able to find them for under $100. I can't imagine them not handling anything you could possibly throw at them.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My Wren stem has seen a lot of use and a fair amount of abuse with no trouble at all even after a recent crash that snapped my handlebars clean near the brake lever in a head-on crash. I weigh about 175 with gear. Mine has the small bolts. I always use a torque wrench and friction paste. These obviously aren’t as stiff as heavier stems but they seem to be plenty tough.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts