Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
I'm using an 80mm one. The gloss finish on them is amazing, I'm not typically a fan of gloss anno, but these are very nice. The lack of material for the threads on the steerer side is a bit scary, literally there's hardly anything there at all. They also use small M4 bolts, could probably save a few more grams with ti bolts since the ones that came with mine were just anodized aluminum.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'm using an 80mm one. The gloss finish on them is amazing, I'm not typically a fan of gloss anno, but these are very nice. The lack of material for the threads on the steerer side is a bit scary, literally there's hardly anything there at all. They also use small M4 bolts, could probably save a few more grams with ti bolts since the ones that came with mine were just anodized aluminum.
Aluminum bolts should be lighter than ti bolts. You relly can't make a bolt smaller than it needs to be so lighter weaker aluminum wins over heavier stronger titanium. There are some places where stronger is better though.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,317 Posts
I'm pretty certain, borderline postive that the bolts are steel
Mine are definitely black so I was assuming they were anodized aluminum. I'll check with a magnet when I get to the house today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, Russ from Wren. I just saw the comments about the bolts used in the Wren stems. The Wren bolts are ChroMoly steel. We use ChroMoly for strength and a little weight savings. Biggest weight factor is the Torx bolt design. Torx bolts are smaller, lighter and stronger than comparable allen bolts. Our bolts are also lighter than Ti allen bolts. Remember to always use a Torx wrench on the bolts. Thanks for the interest in our stem!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
One negative I found is that most multi-tools do not have T20 drivers on em, so if your stem loosens up, sometimes due to a real hard hit or whatever, you are out of luck or you need a different tool or an additional tool, which most likely earns you back the weight you saved. My Ritchey stem is also T20. Light, but probably not worth it for this reason.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Excellent observation, Jayem, and one we realized quickly, so all of our stems are now T25. We have maybe 50 of the original spec of T20 out there. We have replaced some already. If anyone has an early Wren stem with T20, send us a copy of your receipt and we will send you a set of T25 bolts.
Russ / Wren

·
Registered
719 Posts
Excellent observation, Jayem, and one we realized quickly, so all of our stems are now T25. We have maybe 50 of the original spec of T20 out there. We have replaced some already. If anyone has an early Wren stem with T20, send us a copy of your receipt and we will send you a set of T25 bolts.
Russ / Wren
Jeese man. What the heck is going on here?

By responding with facts on this forum you are making other manufacturers look bad.

You just talked me into ordering one, a 90mm unit, for my ss.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
One negative I found is that most multi-tools do not have T20 drivers on em, so if your stem loosens up, sometimes due to a real hard hit or whatever, you are out of luck or you need a different tool or an additional tool, which most likely earns you back the weight you saved. My Ritchey stem is also T20. Light, but probably not worth it for this reason.
Hmmm...that's weird. Both of my multi tools have both T20 and T25 on them. I have a Ritchey 260 too. Never been a problem with the T20's. You think they're bad...the earlier 260's had 3mm allen heads.

Russ, do you guys have torque specs on your stems? And will that vary between the T20 and 25? I'll be grabbing one of your stems for my son's build for sure. They look awesome.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Hmmm...that's weird. Both of my multi tools have both T20 and T25 on them. I have a Ritchey 260 too. Never been a problem with the T20's. You think they're bad...the earlier 260's had 3mm allen heads.
That's a rarity, I had multiple multi tools and no T20s, I looked for a while before I found one, but it's not what I'd call common, you are just lucky. In any event, it's cool that Wren is giving T25s to people (a common size).

·
Registered
16 Posts

Russ, do you guys have torque specs on your stems? And will that vary between the T20 and 25? I'll be grabbing one of your stems for my son's build for sure. They look awesome.
Yes, the torque spec is 6Nm. Either T20 or T25. Thanks! Russ

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ah, that's nice that they can handle a bit more torque. Most stems are calling for 5 at the max. You guys recommend going for a little lower, say 4.5 to 5, and seeing if that's sufficient?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts