Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Still lost
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first trail ride of the season, a solo trip to Mount Beacon in NY. I'd never been there, but heard good things about it. It was tough to find a trail up, I'm not even sure I was in the right place. I ascended up a washout. I wouldn't even call it a rock garden, more like a rock salad, very loose. I had to walk a good portion of it, being a decent pitch and so loose. It was on par with a hiking trail (which I think is what I was on).

Anyways, on the descent, my front wheel slipped to the side and I proceeded to go over the bars. Some real nice souveniers on my legs, arms, & shoulders. Resetting the handlebars caused yet another wound, a burn from the brake rotor (trying to hold the wheel in place between my legs).

So you can see I was riding the brakes pretty good and wasn't going terribly fast, although I was trying to enjoy it.

So now my confidence is shot. I don't know if I should be spooked about this wreck or if I was just stupid trying this trail on a bike period. Any one else been through this?

DW

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
everybody goes through that in the beginning...Need to ride with people better than you so they can show you tips.
Word. Sometimes I'll get spooked on a certain thing, and while I'll still progress, I just won't ever hit that thing, :p but most of the time I do. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
"Wrectum hell! Damm near killed'em!"

Hehehe...sounds like a normal day for me. Wrecking is part of downhilling. I had a bad one going off a ledge where my rear wheel kicked up and I landed on my head, jamming my spine. That pretty much freaked me out on that drop. But one like you've described happens to me 3-4 times a day. Body armor helps.

Mike

·
Still lost
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
Word. Sometimes I'll get spooked on a certain thing, and while I'll still progress, I just won't ever hit that thing, :p but most of the time I do. :)
So how does one decend down a loose gravel trail? Especially when the gravel is the size of softballs. Is there a certain technique to use? Should you go slower or faster?

·
Registered
68 Posts
go fast

dogwonder said:
So how does one decend down a loose gravel trail? Especially when the gravel is the size of softballs. Is there a certain technique to use? Should you go slower or faster?
yah you need to go faster and get your a$$ behind the seat it helps a lot and i had to learn the hard way on that one also :)

·
here today
5,926 Posts
dogwonder said:
assume the position - pedals flat, strong foot forward, butt off the seat weight back arms loose, elbows slightly bent, legs, arms are your shock absorbers

think smooth <- this was the single best advice I heard back when - speed to smooth out the ride, smooth on the brakes and choose smooth lines, (keep your head out of the rocks eyes up front)

loose gravel come is flavors, the worst, for me, is fist size and roundish, you know that is going to spit out - today's ride conked a derailleur on a guy next to me ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.