Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
turtles make me hot
11,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read it here a hundred times... Don't use XT hubs on 29ers with 36 tooth clusters. Well, the price was right and I used em. Thing sounds awful now. Are there any 36 spoke hubs that are clyde worthy but don't cost an arm and a leg?
I was going to get the new DT Swiss 350, but it only comes in 28 and 32 hole. I just put new 36 spoke Gordos on my bike. I really don't want to buy another rim also.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Find a used DTSwiss 440 or Hugi Freeride hub, or a used Hadley hub, in 36 holes. Build off of that. Sometimes it just pays to buy what you need up front.

·
turtles make me hot
11,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, I shoulda just bought something more heavy duty. Now I'm spending twice.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
I recommend Hope. They're not necessarily "cheap" but will last you a looong time. I'm running the 36h Singlespeed bolt on version with 48 engagement points and steel hub carrier and love it! I'm 7 cogs from an XT cassette on it and digging the extra stiffness versus a heavily dished wheel while still running plenty of gear. If you're truly a clyde, you might think about it;) There's a big "How to" thread with everything you need to know.

·
Underskilled
4,747 Posts
OK how many people in the above have actually broken pawls, because there are some bad suggestions in the above!

I break hubs all the time, so have found a list of what works and what doesn't.

The ultimate is undoubtedly Chris King, due to the ring drive system it is an unbreakable hub. DT tried to copy the design, but messed it up badly, so charged more for it to trick people in to thinking it is a good product =-)

Hopes are nice, but the ratchets are in the shell, this means that when they wear you need to replace the hub shell, as opposed to the free hub as with more modern pawl designs.

Another good design to look at is the Halo Spin Doctor, fast rolling solid hub.

The hub I am testing at the moment is Shimano Saint.
This hub has impressed me more than any other (especially taking in to account the price).
Fastest rolling hub I have used, fast engagement and so far very reliable.
I am not sure what they do when changing the internals from XT to Saint, but they make it strong.

The I9 is another floppy hub, good for zoomy XC, but far from strong.

Not seen mtnbkr72's hubs before. They look a classic design, slow to engage but reliable. Good value too.

Hope this helps.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
CaveGiant said:
Hopes are nice, but the ratchets are in the shell, this means that when they wear you need to replace the hub shell, as opposed to the free hub as with more modern pawl designs.
Yup! The reason I'm using, and recommended, the "SINGLESPEED/TRIALS" hub is because of the 48POE and the steel hub shell:thumbsup: I'm sure it will wear out eventually but not nearly as as soon as the typical alloy Hope hub shell.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
CaveGiant said:
The hub I am testing at the moment is Shimano Saint.
This hub has impressed me more than any other (especially taking in to account the price).
Fastest rolling hub I have used, fast engagement and so far very reliable.
I am not sure what they do when changing the internals from XT to Saint, but they make it strong.
I've been riding on 36 hole Saint hubs on my Banshee Paradox for the past year and they have been great. I'm 220lbs. and I'm not exactly a finesse rider. I really like the through bolt axle which makes the rear very stiff. The Saint is claimed by Shimano to be lighter than the XT but that probably does not include the bolt.

Ronnie.

Attachments

·
turtles make me hot
11,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys think that TBC piece is ok? ****, for 40 bucks, I'll buy two.

And yes... I'm the textbook definition of a clyde. 260 pounds at 6'4".

·
up n over
407 Posts
Tinshield said:
Really.........been reading this crap for what? Over a year?:confused:
Who cares how long I've been on this forum. Keyboard time means nothing.
I have a pair of kings from 99' I rode to a 3rd place standing in Michigan's downhill cup in 00' (still kicking strong).
my second set of kings us been abused on my trials bike since 04' (how much torque do u put on your hubs?)
Hope trials hubs are the only hopes (backward or not they work ok in the steel version).
Ya I coulda been off in the i9 thing, but I know a couple chubbers in sfl riding em pretty hard without issue (operative word coming up) yet.

As for shimano, if it says xt it should perform like xt (hence the needing of a clue).

All I know about dt is iv'e replaced so many freehubs and pawls for folks over the years it scares me how big they are by word of mouth.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
elsewhere said:
What are you talking about? I've been reading about XT hubs busting like this for well over a year on this forum and my comment has to do with Shimnao failing to address the durability issue.

·
up n over
407 Posts
Tinshield said:
What are you talking about? I've been reading about XT hubs busting like this for well over a year on this forum and my comment has to do with Shimnao failing to address the durability issue.
10-4
My mistake, thought I sensed a small flame there.
Let us continute in our mutual confusion regarding shimano's
"quality".

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,508 Posts
elsewhere said:
I have a pair of kings from 99' I rode to a 3rd place standing in Michigan's downhill cup in 00' (still kicking strong).
my second set of kings us been abused on my trials bike since 04' (how much torque do u put on your hubs?)
Hope trials hubs are the only hopes (backward or not they work ok in the steel version).
Ya I coulda been off in the i9 thing, but I know a couple chubbers in sfl riding em pretty hard without issue (operative word coming up) yet.

As for shimano, if it says xt it should perform like xt (hence the needing of a clue).

All I know about dt is iv'e replaced so many freehubs and pawls for folks over the years it scares me how big they are by word of mouth.
Drunk.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've been using SRAM X9 hubs with no problem so far. I'm 260+.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,131 Posts
+1 for Kings. I'm 195# and have no worries cranking on 36t cog or rolling though deep creek crossings. You can avoid paying an arm and a leg by purchasing used ones (either wheelset or just the hubs and build your own).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts