Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(cross-posted from the Oregon forum to here in the Santa Cruz forum - slight repost of an earlier comment I added to the Bronson picture thread that I'm updating now that there's a happy ending)

Day before Memorial Day, 5 of us here in the mid-Willamette valley in Oregon hatched a plan to go shuttle Kings-Castle trail out in the vicinity of the McKenzie River, prompted by my initial suggestion of riding the whole IMBA epic.

We packed into two cars, me and a passenger in my Honda Element with two bikes on it and the other 3 riders in the Toyota Tacoma with 3 bikes in the back.

On Highway 126 and 52nd St just outside of Eugene, OR, while waiting at the light my Element was rear-ended by a Cadillac, thrown into the Tacoma, and then into the foot of a light pole. Thankfully none of us were hurt, but there was a lot of damage done to property. Here's the resulting state of the back of my car:

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

The Cadillac was a total loss. The driver was taken to the hospital. The Springfield PD report stated that he didn't have a seatbelt, had bruises on his forehead, and didn't recall anything leading up to the accident. He was eventually charged with following too closely. If you look underneath you can see one of the bikes.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Land vehicle

The collision of my Element with the Tacoma failed the truck's frame and buckled the bed, in addition to sending it all the way across the intersection.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

All 3 cars were towed from the scene. Here's mine being loaded onto the tow truck, with the bike still locked to it. 10 minutes later, the tow truck arrived at the impound yard with no bike on it.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

I didn't realize the theft had occurred until I tried to recover the bike so I could have a shop evaluate the damage to it, so the police report on the theft was probably too late to recover it. There's still a chance for justice to be done, so if you see it, please call the Eugene Police Department at (541) 682-5111 and reference case # 15-09445.

My wife and I got a fair deal from our insurance for the car, and we filed for coverage on our homeowners' policy for the stolen bike. By this weekend I was back up and riding again on a new Nomad (EDIT - and driving a new Subaru):

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

Thanks for reading. Be safe. Hug your loved ones. Make sure everyone wears their helmets while riding and seatbelts while driving.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Two nice upgrades!

And if I were you, I would hold the tow company liable for the Bronson. Here in NV (and also in SoCal and Michigan - all places I've lived) anything anything and everything that was loaded onto the tow is immediately under the liability of the towing company. The fact that you have a picture of the bike on the car while on the flatbed is golden evidence.

If they give you a hard time about it, let your homeowners know and they'll go after the tow and chances are very high that your insurance has much better lawyers than the tow company.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wow, what a tumble, looks like bikes in Tacoma survived though. Sorry it happened to you man, but glad everybody safe and you got a few new toys out of it.

What are the wheels on your new nomad? Rims/hubs. I'm thinking of building one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Glad this had a happy ending. In my long quest to find just the right bike, I got to get some quality time on the Nomad. While it was not the specific bike for me and my normal riding conditions, it was a heck of a nice ride and I really enjoyed it.

What's this with Cadillac's? This spring, one backed into me at a stop sign. Backing up at a stop sign is, not, well, normal. I laid on the horn but got no reaction. When the driver got out he claimed he didn't see me (despite the backup camera) and didn't hear the horn. No damage other than a scratch on the front bumper but, geez, it had to be a Cadillac! :0

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm curious about the homeowners covering the stolen bike- did you have special coverage for the bikes or a additional/higher limit?

I could totally see this happening to me and for some reason not be covered...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm curious about the homeowners covering the stolen bike- did you have special coverage for the bikes or a additional/higher limit?

I could totally see this happening to me and for some reason not be covered...
i have the same question. although i have specifically asked the agent about needing any additional coverage for my bike and he assured me that it was covered under my current HO policy.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
My insurance covers all my bikes (and other hobbies - lol) as long as the the bike is inside or locked to something (vehicle, bike rack, etc...). A simple call to your insurance agent should answer this, but that is typically standard protocol for most places from my experience.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the wheels on your new nomad? Rims/hubs
It's the full XX1 build from Santa Cruz, with stickerless ENVE 70/30 on DT Swiss 240s hubs. The stickers in light blue weren't in stock so I'll put those on later.

No, I did not. My agent raised fear/uncertainty/doubt about this approach but the claims department was great at handling both the car wreck and bike theft. I've talked to a friend since about doing a personal liability that covers the bike specifically but haven't followed through on getting new quotes etc.

Glad this had a happy ending. In my long quest to find just the right bike, I got to get some quality time on the Nomad.
Thanks Rev. I remember your search for the 5010. I have been thinking about that bike too for some of the trails I ride. For now, I need to rebuild our emergency savings...

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I pay a nominal amount for additional insurance riders on my carbon bikes.
While my home/auto "may" cover my bikes in case of damage or theft, my agent says the rider is pretty much fool-proof - and it costs me next to nothing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
tbmaddux, so glad to see things turned-out okay, and more importantly, that you're in good health and did not get injured. Enjoy the Nomad and the new car!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Because the deductible on my insurance it half the cost of my bike. I bought Velo insurance as it covers more and is cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's gotten 3 days of riding so far and I love it. I don't have any issues with it climbing, in fact it seems to respond even better to pedaling hard than the Bronson did and it just feels more balanced and composed overall.

I had this weird thing on the trails I ride most often on Saturday where I felt like I was going slow and taking it easy and wound up with one of my fastest descents ever. So, that too.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Over a year and a half later and... my frame and dropper post have been recovered by the Eugene police department. Someone found this posting and did the right thing by calling it in. My insurance company will probably take ownership of it (EDIT - talked to them today, I passed on the option to pay to salvage it and instead they will have EPD donate the frame and dropper to charity).

Many thanks to that Good Samaritan!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts