Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
Go to a hardware store or home center like Home Depot or Lowe's.
Get clear tubing in the hardware section that you can fit your lock through (should cost you about .39 cents per foot or something like that).
For the lock, a roll of plumber's duct tape which doesn't waterproof it, but doesn't come apart like regular duct tape would if water got to it.

Now, if your talking about just a U-Lock, then wrap some tape where it hits the bike frame.
Besides, that, a few chips in your paint is nothing compared to a stolen bike. Small price to pay. :)

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
i thnk chipped piant just one of those facts of life. i try to get something anodized so i dont have to deal with it.

i had a trek 7000 from 99-01 that was a VERY nice bike EXCEPT for every rock from VERY rocky BLORA wrecked the paint the first ride---the whole down tube underneath is nothing but a bunch of ugly chips.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I picked one of these up at Wally world, for about $12..

It's a 'Bell' key lock/kevlar cable combination (the kevlar wrapped cable's supposed to be 3 times harder to cut than cable alone)..

The neat thing about it, is it comes with a bracket that attaches to your seat tube, and the lock body has a cutout that fits in it, and a spring loaded catch that keeps it in place.. Best lock system I've used so far.. Everything's covered in nylon or plastic tubing so nothing to scratch.. And you don't even notice it's there until you need it. I use a piece of cord tied around the cable to keep it in place. The whole lock/bracket combination weighs virtually nothing (so lite I haven't bothered to weigh it).

Like any lock, it's a compromise. Given enough time somebody can get through anything.. But this absolutely works great. And the attachment body is made of nylon and doesn't weigh jack, so when you don't need the lock, it can stay at home and you don't notice anything's there.

·
Don't touch me!
871 Posts
My Kryptonite lock has the exact same mount. I used it for a week in college then just wrapped the cable around my frame. Re-coiling when locking and unlocking was a huge pita. I also had locking skewers, so I didn't have to loop the cable through my wheels.

To the OP, I'd just wrap electrical tape around the area your lock sits. (electrical tape is to cyclist as duct tape is to a handyman):thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.