Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Yakima Hookup or Thule T2 bike hitch(2inch receiver) with a Jeep Wrangler. I'm wondering if their is any spare tire clearance issues when a bike is mounted or if there is any issues folding it up when not in use. Happy Holidays,

·
Registered
63 Posts
95Stumpy said:
Has anyone used the Yakima Hookup or Thule T2 bike hitch(2inch receiver) with a Jeep Wrangler. I'm wondering if their is any spare tire clearance issues when a bike is mounted or if there is any issues folding it up when not in use. Happy Holidays,
What year is your wrangler? If it is pre 1997 you should get a tailgate reinforcing kit. The tailgate on 87-95 YJ's are notoriously weak nad have beenknown to crack when subject ot weight-such as a larger tire. If it is a 97 and up you should not have any problems though.

·
slack jawed
182 Posts
I've got a Yakima Hitchfork. It doesn't look like Yakima makes this model anymore. It is similar to the Hookup except it uses fork mounts.
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_Rack/product_78256.shtml

I have only used it for hauling two bikes plus two front tires. It's supposed to be able to handle three bikes, but I'm not sure they would fit with the Wrangler's spare tire in place. Besides, it would be very difficult to mount three bikes on the rack, and pack three riders, their front tires, and all their gear in the Wrangler.

I have no problems with the rack folded up. When mounting two bikes I do have to make sure the pedal clears the spare tire on the inside bike. About 1/2 of the pedal's rotation will clear the tire. Also, since my rack is fork mounted, I have no problems with handlebars hitting the spare tire.

Doesn't the clearance also depend on where your hitch receiver is located in relation to the rear of the Wrangler? Your best bet might be to find a shop that would let you install a floor model rack to verify clearance.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Trashbike. I have a normal hitch mount from Yakima. Unfortunately, my new Yeti 575's frame is a little unique and doesn't fit my carrier. You should have seen me rigging it to take it home from the LBS. I've been using the Yakima Toptube that acts like a top tube of a bike, however, it's not very convenient. That's why I'm looking at the T2 from Thule or the Yakima Hook up. Since, Spoker 247 has seen it work with a wrangler, I'll go with the Yakima. Cletus, your right it all depends on the hitch and how it is setup. My Sahara has an 11/4 type of hitch, it also has the stock 30 inch spare, and it won't fit a bike carrier unless you have an extension. My 4 banger, has a 2 inch hidden hitch and it sit's a little further out. It fits my Yakima standard bike carrier perfectly. I thought about the hitch fork from Yakima but your right they are not selling it anymore. Regardless, my days of taking the front tire off are over(had several car racks), I just find it much easier loading the bike as a whole on a rack. Thanks for the info fellas.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Dont have a Jeep, but been using the T2 all year awsome carrier. I use the 2 bike most of the time have the 3 bike add on & can carry up to 4 with 2" reciver. No swinging, swaying, wheel removal simple load lock & drive away.
Sportworks offers many options to make the rack fit almost anything.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I thought about looking to the T2 but no one had it in stock. I guess they are going through a transition period since being acquired by Thule. From what I've seen in the pics, the Thule version has a locking holder up front which the Yak does not. I'm thinking if somebody wanted to steal the bike all they would have to do is release the quick release on the front hub. However, the lock could just be a safety issue, so it does not come loose in transit. I ended up going with the Yakima Hookup since it was in stock at the LBS. I'm trying to support my LBS, however, sometimes I wonder. :) Plus, I have been using Yakima products for years. Folds up well as I was told with the spare. The only issue, well issue for my tire cover, is the pedal hits it. If I didn't have a cover, there would be no worries. thanks for all the info people. Merry Xmas and have a Happy New Year !!!!! :)

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Awsome, glad you found a carrier for your needs. Your LBS could have ordered through QBP they have them in stock, QBP is a dealership supplyer. Any way i would highly recomend locking your bike to a transporter. I was driving home after a ride looked in my rear view mirror & realized wow cool rack takes about 20 seconds to load or unload. No my bikes didnt get stollen but i woke up & started locking the bikes all the time to the van frame. Yes they can still be stollen with good bolt cutters but i'm going to make it as complicated as possible. If i go inside for lunch or something & the bikes are out of sight i add another bigger lock to all the bikes. Dont reley on the transporters lock to prevent your bike from theft.
Merry Xmas & a wonderfull new year :)

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point!!! I seldom leave my bike unattended even for a moment on the rack. However, just for the piece of mind, I am going to get something to lock the bikes to the hitch or to my jeep!!!. Thanks Again. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts