Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ridem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you fellas thinkin about doing this race this coming weekend: I road the race course today and the conditions couldn't be better. We are gonna be smokin next Sunday, esp if the afternoon rains continue. Everything is nice and tacky, just the right amount of goo in the right spots. Chainsaw is the fastest I have ever seen it!

See yall Sunday - keep the knobbies down. The fun factor should be off the scale. I know my bud and I were grinning and laughing way too much today.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I ended up there today also - and you're right, it was fantastic!

·
a dad
2,909 Posts
about how long did it take?? its been about 8 years since i've ridden it and hope to head up tomorrow. thanks

·
Ridem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time

BBZ - It was about 2 hours, I wasn't keeping real close track. I had a friend from sea level riding with me, so I was doing a fair amount of "hurry up and wait". Those flat landers have trouble with the air in Winter Park. :)

Hey Debaser, when were you on the trail? There was suprisingly few folks on the trails yesterday, wonder if we we ran across each other... was riding a black Intense ...

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I was up there about eleven-ish to two-ish. I think I saw a total of 4 riders on the trails? Unless you were standing by he side of the trail with two lunatic dogs, I don't think I would have seen you. I was up there with my fiancee for serenity/ice hill/twin bridges, and then left her for some d4/wtb/other stufff action. It was super superb.

·
Ridem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Debaser said:
I was up there about eleven-ish to two-ish. I think I saw a total of 4 riders on the trails? Unless you were standing by he side of the trail with two lunatic dogs, I don't think I would have seen you. I was up there with my fiancee for serenity/ice hill/twin bridges, and then left her for some d4/wtb/other stufff action. It was super superb.
Thats roughly when I was in there as well. I saw those two crazy dogs running along with a rather interesting trail runner that had lots to tats and huge nip rings (ouch). When I bailed out at St Louis Creek CG and headed into Frasier on the road, he was loading them up in his truck down by the NW Passage trailhead.

·
a dad
2,909 Posts
any suggestions for a good map of the area?? also would like a ride in the 3-4 hour range, any suggestions on what to add to it?? thanks again

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
i havn't seen a fantastic map of wp - but there are several different copies out there (I should say that mine's several years old and I havn't looked at the newer ones). The maps they give out at the resort cover the valley, and are free...

If you're looking to make a 4 hour ride, include the resort with the valley trails. Tons of options!

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
WP goodness

Here's some trail pics. Same spot, looking up and down. It was ripping. Everywhere I stuck the bike it stayed and railed.

Hopefully it wll be just as good for the race.

Attachments

·
Ridem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
billybobzia said:
any suggestions for a good map of the area?? also would like a ride in the 3-4 hour range, any suggestions on what to add to it?? thanks again
There is a bike shop in Fraser that is next to a coffee store / pizza place. It is across the street from the City Market at the traffic signal. They have a nice valley map for free. Start at Tipperary Creek, get to Flume, Chainsaw, Zoom, Elk Meadow, D2, WTB, D4, Ice Hill and on into the ski area. This is about 2 1/2 hours. Then ride to the top of the ski area and laugh your way all the way down on some real fun single track options. The beer at the base of the ski area is cold - a refreshing reward for about a 4 hour effort.

·
a dad
2,909 Posts
Spider-man - thanks for the directions, used your suggestions for the start of our ride and hooked up some other stuff for a great 4 hour ride yesterday.... love that tipp creek downhill....fast, fast, fast....trails were perfect and the weather held out until we put the bikes in the truck and then it really opened up...
other suggestions for winter park riding???

·
Ridem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
billybobzia said:
Spider-man - thanks for the directions, used your suggestions for the start of our ride and hooked up some other stuff for a great 4 hour ride yesterday.... love that tipp creek downhill....fast, fast, fast....trails were perfect and the weather held out until we put the bikes in the truck and then it really opened up...
other suggestions for winter park riding???
There are 600+ miles of mapped trails in WP. I have only scratched the surface in the 15 years I have been pedaling over there - I keep going back to the fun ones I know. I have never been disappointed on the ski area trails. I think I have done them all by now. On the east side of Hwy 40 are tons of trails I need to explore. I have raced in the old Idlewild cross country ski area and it has some awesome trails. I have hooked up those trails up to Fraser area for some real fun. And, since you are a front range dude, ride you bike to WP from Eldora.

I will be over there Sunday for the race. Send me an email if you want to hook up over there with a map and I can point out some fun stuff.

So what route up the ski mountain did you take? Lunch at the top is always fun...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts