Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumbfounded. After years of discussing every subject on this green earth, with every shlub and professional, and always finding some silver lining, I finally find myself stumped. I now have truly nothing to say to the heiress, part-time model, "actress" population of southern California.

Nothing.

At.

All.

An entire year spent in La Jolla and Pacific Beach, and these comments sum up hundreds of conversations in which I mentioned the words "Mountain Biking".

"Mountain biking? Like mountain climbing, with a motorcycle? Outside???"

And

"Wait, bicycles? ...like for kids?"

If there were a map of mountain biking culture, we could very well start with a big black hole centered on La Jolla, and enveloping most of southern California.

I have almost forgotten that elsewhere, riding does in fact occur.

I have a sudden, desperate urge to create a shirt that says "Riding Happens" in a defiant show of existential fortitude. ...for my own sanity's sake.

Where and how do you find culture?

Culture. Cult-ure. Root word, cult? Interesting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Premise cute...

but a little flimsy. Spent years in La Jolla; sure not many who ride, but I'm not certain that's what I'm after when I'm on my bike, anyway. And, it left the Mt. Soledad trails blissfully empty. But it is more fun to tilt at the windmills of being a social outcast, I s'pose...

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
Great post...PB land of the 1 in 3 girls & guys have 1 or more STD.

You want bike culture - Go ride downtown SD on a Fixie.

Be sure to wear tight straight leg black jeans, an engineer cap - or favorite roadie cap (Bianchi works best), and have 3 PBR's.

You'll fit right in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Howeler said:
Great post...PB land of the 1 in 3 girls & guys have 1 or more STD.

You want bike culture - Go ride downtown SD on a Fixie.

Be sure to wear tight straight leg black jeans, an engineer cap - or favorite roadie cap (Bianchi works best), and have 3 PBR's.

You'll fit right in.
I lived in PB and all over San Diego for roughly 30 years and im not sure what parts of PB let alone San Diego did you hang out at. 1 in 3 w/STD's, Sounds like you were hanging in East San Diego with all the crack heads!!!??? As far as MTN.biking, There was Sorento Valley, Mission Trails and even a little 26 mile ride called Noble Canyon. I live about two hours north of San Diego now in Upland Ca. and I am completely surrounded by ULTIMATE MTN BIKING!!!!

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Minot, ND + Mountain Bike Culture = :madman:

Minot, ND + Road Bike Culture = :yawn:

I guess that's why I spend so much time on here.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
yeah, try mentioning that you're a "mountain biker" in florida. Most common responses are the usual "like riding your bicycle?" or "but there are not mountains".

I've tried calling it "riding my bike offroad" to some folks but that doesn't give the full picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.