Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to ride this ML7 with a 29'er on the front the other day on our local trail which is made up of a wide range of terrain from rocky technical to flowing singletrack. To say I was impressed is a huge understatement. I don't know what the travel on the DUC was reduced to to work with the larger wheel but I've never been on a bike that turned, climbed, or handled this terrain quite the way this bike did. Plush, fast, stable, all I can say is WOW! BTW, I have ridden an ML8 out here, which is a great bike, but this terrain doesn't demand that much bike.

I may have to keep my eye out for one of these to build up...

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sweet setup!
That is is! There was a thread a while ago about a guy experimenting with a 29er on ML8... What he really found out was how good the back end was!
But, I must admit the 29 or 650b front wheel on any shorter travel 26" bike might a good thing.
My Durance with a 29 wheel is awesome, it just goes any where point it!
I do not like the added swing weight of the bigger wheel though. And for more aggressive "all mountain" riding (read lift!) the 29 is not the way to go IMO.
The frame shown is an older ML7 with a steeper H/A with the DUC compared to a newer version. I always thought it had a too step a H/A to begin with anyway!

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
I really need to try this... Gotta buy a 29" wheel!

BTW, the DUC is reduced to 4.5" of travel when the 29er spacers are installed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Blimey that looks odd!

Whatever works for the individual of course is not to be questioned, but my ML7 with DUC's (roughly the same vintage as the one in the pic) won't be getting a 29er front wheel for sure. My only criticism of my ML7 with the DUC's on is a slightly too high BB, and a head angle which could be a tiny bit (like half a degree) steeper. To me a 29er front wheel would compound the situation!

Mind you I notice the bike in the pic still has the original monolink on it though, with the BB lower and slightly further back than the upgraded monolink which my ML7 has had fitted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.