Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't dropped by mtbr in ages (since the days of the old style boards), been busy moving around, changing jobs, not mountain biking, and rock crawling my truck, who knew I could thrash an '03 in record time... Have been shopping around for parts lately to get the Blizz up and running again: cables, derailleur, new fork, etc... Am set to start skateboarding again at the advanced age of 29, we've got a good concrete park in my current city, and North America's biggest concrete park in my next.

See a lot of names I recognize, and a few that I was disappointed not to see. Here's a rundown of what I've been up to lately for those who remember me/can feign interest:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/maynardx/webpage/main.html

What it doesn't include is a nearing move to Calgary, pretty stoked about that. I'm sick of the extreme north and its boring terrain, plus my liver is growing tired of the 'social life'.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is because I have absolutely NO clue how to teach my gf, via email or phone, how to shift gears efficiently. She's commuting to work and it's totally wiping her out. Gear shifting has become so intuitive to me that I don't know how to explain it to a rookie rider who is forced to commute up and down steep grades daily. I can visualize what she should be doing in my head, but can't express it. Anyone know of any write ups/tutorials that don't dumb it down TOO much?

Rob.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Crank speed.

mudferret said:
Haven't dropped by mtbr in ages (since the days of the old style boards), been busy moving around, changing jobs, not mountain biking, and rock crawling my truck, who knew I could thrash an '03 in record time... Have been shopping around for parts lately to get the Blizz up and running again: cables, derailleur, new fork, etc... Am set to start skateboarding again at the advanced age of 29, we've got a good concrete park in my current city, and North America's biggest concrete park in my next.

See a lot of names I recognize, and a few that I was disappointed not to see. Here's a rundown of what I've been up to lately for those who remember me/can feign interest:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/maynardx/webpage/main.html

What it doesn't include is a nearing move to Calgary, pretty stoked about that. I'm sick of the extreme north and its boring terrain, plus my liver is growing tired of the 'social life'.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is because I have absolutely NO clue how to teach my gf, via email or phone, how to shift gears efficiently. She's commuting to work and it's totally wiping her out. Gear shifting has become so intuitive to me that I don't know how to explain it to a rookie rider who is forced to commute up and down steep grades daily. I can visualize what she should be doing in my head, but can't express it. Anyone know of any write ups/tutorials that don't dumb it down TOO much?

Rob.
try telling her to pick a crank speed that is fairly easy, and use the shifting of gears to keep the same crank speed/exertion rate.

·
Dork
222 Posts
Hey mud, good to hear from you.

My daughter was having the same problem and I realized I was trying to explain the mechanics too much.

"Spin without pressure while you shift" was the magic phrase. A lightbulb went off over her head and she's got it now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damion said:
try telling her to pick a crank speed that is fairly easy, and use the shifting of gears to keep the same crank speed/exertion rate.
Coupled with Drewpy's reply below, that might just do it, thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drewpy said:
Hey mud, good to hear from you.

My daughter was having the same problem and I realized I was trying to explain the mechanics too much.

"Spin without pressure while you shift" was the magic phrase. A lightbulb went off over her head and she's got it now.
I was getting too far into the mechanics as well, and noting what cog and chainring I'm in rather than paying attention to what numbers are showing up on the shifters, something I never paid attention to. I think that magic phrase might just do the trick. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks!

CraigH said:
Hey man, welcome back to the boards!
Budgetary concerns have kept me from getting my bike up and running this week, and have nixed my plans for a new skateboard as well!:) Hope to be running some trails shortly.

·
I think this is a trail..
147 Posts
Hey, welcome to Gawds Country!
Definitely going to have to hook up with you and that celly character for a spin once you are all settled in.

Coming out for the Canmore Gathering?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Welcome back!

Cruise over the Gallery section of the site. Now that you have register to post, you don't get the lame and crude bike gallery comments anymore. Although I do miss the flame wars between Anna the Biker Girl and the guys.

·
The former Blue 'Goose
299 Posts
Shifting........

mudferret said:
stuff deleted for brevity.....

Rob.
I'd just say:
If it's too hard to pedal,shift to the smallest ring in the front and if it's still too hard
then keep downshifting on the right until you can pedal okay.

I bet she's in the biggest ring for some reason.

-the ex-blue goose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blue Goose!! Holy shiznit. Ironically, I just got off the phone with the galfiend and asked her the very same thing. She keeps giving me the numbers on the shifters, so I told her to lift the rear end of the bike off the ground and go through the gears and note which ones are easy/hard etc... I think she's running a chain guard and is leary of traffic so she really doesn't know what's going on with the gears besides what the shifters are telling her.

As best as I can tell, the 'killer' hill has a cross street and lights half way up, she usually hits the red light. I'll see what I can harvest from this thread and share with her.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When's the gathering?

I'll be honest with you, I'm in terrible shape right now, although I'm back down to a trim 195, my bursts of energy are still in the pooper. I did do Annette lake and back in 4 hours from Lake Louise last weekend:) My endurance is still good, perhaps I can get Blizzelda up and running in time? Be an excuse to drive back down to Calgary again before the move. I've also been off the bike for 1.5 years, so I'm sure my techiness has gone in the pooper as well. (Goshdarnit I hate the word filter!!:)

Word,
Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BeaverDamn!!

I'll be into 72 hour weeks at that point, phocking evil diamond conglomerate monopoly type companies... that OT is precious at this point though. I'm not sure if I'll be fast tracking my move via credit, but if I do, I'll be there, even if in a supporting role, i.e. power drink mixer, camp cook, chamoise scrubber, etc... definitely not ready for high output altitude fitness, but I've only met Celly and Spike so far, and I think they wanted to kill me, with an axe:)

Rob.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How's this?

Keep in mind, myself and the people who provided the quotes below end up intuiting what gear we should be in, after years of riding seriously; you'll be there soon at the rate you're commuting, believe me, you're on the verge of hardcore, I've seen that hill, it's nasty. It takes time, and can result in even much more efficient anaerobic and aerobic activity (should never be more than a 50/50 split maximum IMO, unless you're Lance Armstrong and racing in the TdF). Yes, I used to be a cycle fitness geek, then I discovered free-riding, where we fly downhill fast, and hike our heavy built-up bikes uphill, it was much more condusive to the smoker's lifestyle, but damn, I broke too many ribs (2 occassions), broke too many helmets, and had permanent open wounds all over my body...constantly...:p

Eventually you'll even be ready for aggressive city riding; damaging cars that come to close (trust me it works, and feels good), chasing people down that cut you off, or even grabbing the back end of a city bus to pull you to work:) When I was riding a lot, I used to chase down people in cars who didn't respect my right to be on the road as I was on my way to the trailhead, I can't count how many times I almost got in fights with motorists. Yes, you're right, I gots the rage. If you're riding on the street a lot, be prepared to protect yourself, and never, ever, trust a car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"pick a crank speed that is fairly easy, and use the shifting of gears to keep the same crank speed/exertion rate"

(Rob's Addendum: If a gear ends up being too hard, or too easy, you've chosen the wrong one and are wasting energy)

"Spin without pressure while you shift"

(RA: pretend your spinning feet are the clutch, 'release' them as you shift (i.e. stop pushing so hard/or spinning so fast, even though they continue to spin at a reasonable rate)

"If it's too hard to pedal,shift to the smallest ring in the front and if it's still too hard
then keep downshifting on the right until you can pedal okay"

((RA: Okay, easiest gear up front (3 I think? I don't have numbers on my shifters), then rely on the right shifter to fine tune))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you see the redlight coming up on that killer hill, start shifting to an easier gear before you come to a stop, if you try to do it after the fact, you're **** out of luck and are pretty much ****ed for getting a head of steam going again.

Had an awsome time talking to you tonight babe, and miss you even more!!

***edited out mushy stuff***,
Rob

P.S.***edited out mushy stuff***:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts