Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i bought a few different size stems from ebikes.com. one a 40mm and another with 60mm with a slight rise. i had always thought i would like the 40mm, but it was horrible! the bar was in my knees and had absolutley no balance or steerability.
then i tried the 60mm, and it was almost perfect! crazy how much of a difference just the 20mm made. still thinking maybe the 60mm is a hair to short, but feels a lot better than the 110mm stock and the terrible 40mm.

cant help but to think a 70 or 80mm would be perfect, but dont think they make them. i could be wrong, so let me know you guys input.

i know kinda a random post, but just putting the info out there for any other newb that may have simular questions.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here are a couple examples of 70-80mm stems, so they are out there.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12726-305_SETVS4-3-Parts-72-Stems/Sette-Venn-Mountain-Stem.htm

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13978-305_RACDS5-3-Parts-72-Stems/Race-Face-Deus-Stem.htm

You can also play around with your handlebars and try more/less rise and sweep to adjust your hand position.

A third possibility is shifting your saddle forward or back a bit, however this also affects your position relative to the crank.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
They make stems up to 130mm, in length. Yeah, its amazing how much difference a few mms can make....

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
351 Posts
Check to make sure your knee cap is directly over the pedal axle at 3 o'clock (or 9 o'clock, whichever is forward) position and adjust your fore/aft accordingly (assuming your height is correct). Some say that this method of saddle positioning is not ideal, but it probably puts you in at least a decent position for most riders of normal body proportions.

Then mess with the stem length. If you already have all of this figured out, disregard. 40mm is pretty short... thats barely off the steerer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.