Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did my semi-regular noon time ride....10 miles, about 7 miles of it singletrack, fast, rocky, with lots of switchbacks. Great to test new stuff not to mention, have done it TONS of times so I am pretty sensitive to changes.

In any event, made my first change in parts to the Salsa Dos Niner. Originally pegged the overall ride (ie, not the frame necessarily) as EXTREMELY squirelly and pretty bad downhill. Clearly the bars are still too short and stem to olong for me, and the tires were (till last night) what I am now COMPLETELY convinced are horrible POS pieces of rubber (ie, Motoraptors).

From the ventana, put the Ignitor (front) and Nano (rear) on the Salsa last night. Just got back from the ride and am still shocked how much better the bike rode with the simple tire change. WOW. No more feeling like I am braking on marbles.....WAY improved braking, cornering, EVERYTHING.

I am really liking the Salsa more and more...it is one fast mo fo and currently it is a PIG weighing in at what has to be at least 28 lbs (Evolve stuff, deore/Alex wheels, etc.). I cannot imagine how fast it will be once modified to where I want it to be.

Only downside to having traded my Inbred for the Salsa is that chicks are less impressed......I used to be so cool to be able to say I dont even own a geared bike. According to recent posts I have read it appears that it was just a fad for me so I should have expected to go back to gears anyway.

cheers
 

·
post-ride specialist
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
There's a whole world of obsession waiting for you out there in the land of MTB tires. Enough for a lifetime, right Shigs? Of course to really get into it, you'll have to try one of them-thar 26ers.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
icegeek said:
There's a whole world of obsession waiting for you out there in the land of MTB tires. Enough for a lifetime, right Shigs? Of course to really get into it, you'll have to try one of them-thar 26ers.
obsession? what is that?
 

·
And He was Not
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
I like the Salsa

I hear ya' Fo. A friend of mine went out of town and he left me with his Dos Niner to do some work on it. I've been riding it, and I must say I'm really impressed with this bike. I've got it set up with a 1x5 set up. It weighs in at 23 lbs with a WB fork up front. Great Bike.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enoch said:
I hear ya' Fo. A friend of mine went out of town and he left me with his Dos Niner to do some work on it. I've been riding it, and I must say I'm really impressed with this bike. I've got it set up with a 1x5 set up. It weighs in at 23 lbs with a WB fork up front. Great Bike.
wow! 23 lbs! that is awesome. I want to get my bike weighed this week...i am sure it is at least 28 lbs
 

·
Mashers Only!!
Joined
·
578 Posts
FoShizzle said:
wow! 23 lbs! that is awesome. I want to get my bike weighed this week...i am sure it is at least 28 lbs
What up my Nizzle!! Sounds like you need to go on a diet!!
Like you I'm totaly happy with the Ignitor on front but not happy with it on the rear. It just does not have the traction I'm looking for while climbing!! And yes I have tried it at different psi. Its fun looking for the tire that suits me though.

HUGH
:)

How do I get on the "most hated list"?? Do I need more bling?:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
I can't wait to weigh my newly reconfigured dos, once my box o' goodies shows up, I'm mounting the fast traks tonight.



hugh, actually the most 'hatted' list is quite a different list of deviance that Faux keeps, be careful what you wish for, and watch your back around him :eek:
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HUGH said:
What up my Nizzle!! Sounds like you need to go on a diet!!
Like you I'm totaly happy with the Ignitor on front but not happy with it on the rear. It just does not have the traction I'm looking for while climbing!! And yes I have tried it at different psi. Its fun looking for the tire that suits me though.

HUGH
:)

How do I get on the "most hatted list"?? Do I need more bling?:D
actually Hugh, I am working on a top ten list of people I hate and thus far, you are definitely in the top 5. currently my signature only reflects people I hate cause they are aholes to me......you make it cause i hate you for the bike you have and i dont!

and as far as more bling, not sure that is possible :D

the ride we did last I blew the ignitor sidewall coming down sullivan cyn...since then vowed never to run it out back. i was shocked.

the ventana now sports Exis front and rear which i am stoked with for the type or riding I like to do on that bike.

cheers
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
burner said:
I can't wait to weigh my newly reconfigured dos, once my box o' goodies shows up, I'm mounting the fast traks tonight.

hugh, actually the most 'hatted' list is quite a different list of deviance that Faux keeps, be careful what you wish for, and watch your back around him :eek:
one word for you burner, "kiss my a$$ b!tch!"
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
O Kaaaaay.

Gotta go.

It's getting deep and my boots leak!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top