Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I was reading a review on the santa Cruz super eight from this web site cause i wa slucky enough to see one the other day. Classy Bike. But one of the reviews given about it said, ''this bike sucks i did a measly 60ft drop and it broke''. i had to laugh. 60ft thats bound to be impossible and that well apart from solid objetcts such as rocks and tennis balls what would survive that. The i remembered a vid i have about the red bull tournament (note i'm a total beginner) and that those guys were doing some of the most amazing stuff ever on a bike. Then just this evening when i was in work (a local petrol station) i was gazing up at the canopy over the petrol pumps and thought hmmm imagine if i could drop off that on my bike, then i rmeber the 60ft thing i read. So i went out and checked the four court hieght. 3.6 metres or very nearly 12 feet and i was like WOW no way 60ft has to be impossible coz thats 5 time this height and the canopy is bloddy high enough. Then i just read a post by ''theotherloserkid'' about his first 15 feet drop (well done young man, i'm only 16 myself) so i thought rite i should post somehting and find out what other think. So thats my story up to why i'm typing this and basically i'd like to know are 60ft jumps possible and what its like to do jumps that are 15ft. Ive only gone over my first dowhill type track with in the last week and its in a local forest park. I live in northern ireland where there is nothing for mtbing. well hardly any. and the biggest jump i can do is about 3-4ft and to me thats pretty scary. tho i've only got a hardtail with judy forks so i donno if the bike would take any more let alone me haveing the balls to go over anythign bigger cause i still have some sort of accident on the drop abou 75% of the time.

bit of a long post but i felt like typing coz i'm bored and wnna go out on my bike but had to work so thanks in advance if any one replies coz i've sorta erambled on and not really asked anything apart from questioning the 60ft drop but i'd love to hear your thoughts anyways.

Cheers

Chris, 16, Northern Ireland

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Well..
For me the diference btw a 6,7,8fts. to a 15+ is the time you are in the air...
I'v done a lot of 6,7,8fts. drops and they go so fast...is no time from where you hit it to where you land it...(maybe a second or two)
But when I did my 20fts? drop.... ohh man..... that was crazy...I have time to think when I was in the air : "what a fvck am I doing here" and "this bike is no gonna take it..!!!" and again "what a fvck am I doing here"...but when you done it is like the best feeling ever ,pure happynes...
And here you have the pics. of my "happy" moment.... :D

PS. about a 60fts. drop...mmmm...don't think is posible but I'd like to be wrong...

Attachments

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D

thats so class dude. yeha i know what u mean about the time.
both wheel are only off gorund for half a second. you guys are so lucky tho. all those wee path track things made of wood that u can ride over are so fun looking. the best i have is a few logs with a pallet. but its fun. i'm really loving mountain biking at the mintue.

nice pics anyway looks like so much fun, and i know exactly the feeling u tlaking about.

cool

·
Team
1,197 Posts
Ireland is such a great place. Got some big mountains, yet no lift serviced DH yet...
Have you ever heard of "Orange Bikes?" They are made in England (I think).
I could say that I am 99.9999999% sure that the guy who said he did a 60 foot drop didn't.
Red Bull Rampage is sick, I hope someday to go and watch it live there.
How's the riding in Ireland? Any good drops?

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm

yeah i've heard of orange bikes but are they not in the really expensvie category like $1000+ or what ever that is in pounds. lol

Hmm well i live in Northern Ireland and at the mintue i'm stuck on places to go. Simply because i dont have a car and if i wnna go to any parks i gotta cycle there. Not such a bad thing but the nearest place to go is a small forest park about 30 min cycle away. Its a really titchy forest park. It runs along a river so basically is about 300 metres wide (150 on each side of the river) then i guess its about 1-2 miles long. Then there are steep wee hills leading form the very edge of the park to the river. Like a valley. If i didn't fall off i could get from the start of the track to the end in about 40 seconds and the biggest drop i would have to do is about 5 feet. Since i've only sarted into this type of biking in the last month or so i really dont know of anywhere else and i know that the course that i've been talkign about has just been built by two enthuastits and they have kept it going for the last 5 or so years. But well there are def no ski lift type dh courses or any sorta big compittions here for mtbing. I'm not sure about the mourn mountains coz i've walked over them when hiking so much and never seen any bikes or bike paths. Nah in Northern Ireland there really is no where to ride at all, i'm just lucky i live with in 30 min cycle of the only proper built bike track. Then i see pics on here of ya know those wooden cousres with all the logs layen down and built into like a big track. the type of track in VIA's post then i get so jealous of u guys. Lol oh well thats my ranting for today.

Chris, 16, Northern Ireland

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey you fools ever heard of 'jah drop'?!?! It's benders little 60ft baby and even though he tried twiceand didn't land it, he got really close. That was awhile ago, and I think that if he tried it now the bike wouldn't buck him off like a raging bull and he could stick it :D

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I can't remember the who what when where but there is a vid out that has a sick b a s t u r d launching a gap over the Marzocchi team truck. It looks like a 20' gap with a 40' drop.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
coldsteele said:
I can't remember the who what when where but there is a vid out that has a sick b a s t u r d launching a gap over the Marzocchi team truck. It looks like a 20' gap with a 40' drop.
wade simmons and bender in disorder III?

·
Registered
265 Posts
konabiker said:
wade simmons and bender in disorder III?
yeah thats it, but wade was the only one to do it over the marzocchi truck. Carlin dunne (ufc 2nd place this year) did it in his vid also.

"Hey you fools ever heard of 'jah drop'?!?! It's benders little 60ft baby and even though he tried twiceand didn't land it, he got really close. That was awhile ago, and I think that if he tried it now the bike wouldn't buck him off like a raging bull and he could stick it"

Bender actually tried it four times, the first time he hurt himself really bad, then came back and hit it 3 more times. after falling on all of the attempts he declared the landing too flat to roll out. i dont think he plans on doing it again.

-rtth

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Wade landed it, Bender didn't. Though, notice that Bender goes way bigger than Wade did, a good 10+ feet further down the tranny. Either way, that's balls out to the max, if not a bit suicidal.

Another good one is Super T in Kranked 5. That was HUGE, and made to look alot bigger with the slo-mo and the elongated video. Still a big drop regardless.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Prechrysler said:
Wade landed it, Bender didn't. Though, notice that Bender goes way bigger than Wade did, a good 10+ feet further down the tranny. Either way, that's balls out to the max, if not a bit suicidal.

Another good one is Super T in Kranked 5. That was HUGE, and made to look alot bigger with the slo-mo and the elongated video. Still a big drop regardless.
yeah that drop was sweet. but what i thought was way cooler is that darren bearcloth does a whip off it and lands perfect on a bullit with old super t.

and yeah on that drop bender went way faster and like overcleared. wade like barely made it, but did it with crazy style.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
konabiker said:
yeah that drop was sweet. but what i thought was way cooler is that darren bearcloth does a whip off it and lands perfect on a bullit with old super t.

and yeah on that drop bender went way faster and like overcleared. wade like barely made it, but did it with crazy style.
Yea, that was way smooth. Wade must have tweaked his bike like 4 times in the air. You know you are getting some serious hangtime when you can do that.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Prechrysler said:
Yea, that was way smooth. Wade must have tweaked his bike like 4 times in the air. You know you are getting some serious hangtime when you can do that.
yeah, i actually think he looks really funny in the air on that drop. he pumps so many times, bender just sailed off it.(i cant talk though cause i would never hit that)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts