Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my set of Exiwolfs today and mounted them with a couple of Bontrager 2.~ tubes and this set-up is damned heavy. What are you running? What can I do to lighten this 29er up?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
AteMrYeats said:
I just received my set of Exiwolfs today and mounted them with a couple of Bontrager 2.~ tubes and this set-up is damned heavy. What are you running? What can I do to lighten this 29er up?
Run a set of tires that weighs 200 grams less. :cool:

BB

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Schwalbe offers 29" tubes of only 140g, those might help? Weigh what you've got now. Tubes are normally the cheapest way to save weight, and rotating weight at that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep, the Exis are sweet for cush and traction but quite hefty. I've got em on a singlespeed and had to adjust the ratio I was running. I may put the Klaw back on the back. S

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Schwalbe 29er tube

What is the name or the code for that tube on their site. Thanks

Cloxxki said:
Schwalbe offers 29" tubes of only 140g, those might help? Weigh what you've got now. Tubes are normally the cheapest way to save weight, and rotating weight at that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I like them, they are what they are.

I just put my pair back on after riding on Ignitors the last two weeks.
Yes, they add a pound of rotating weight to my rigid Vulture...
But the way I figure it, I spend half the time climbing and the other half descending. On the way up they build my strength and fitness, on the way down they give me grip and cush and won't blow off.
They are my choice for day to day riding and training, racing I like the Ignitors. Next is to try a Nano in back, Exi up front...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As Padre said, I guess I should just ride them and get used to the added weight. This is my first 29er though (not yet built) and I am just wondering what I should expect with the added rotational weight over my 26" set up in addition to the whole 29er factor with all of its various attributes. It will be SS and I have made the appropriate gearing corrections. Now all I have to do is ride the damned thing. Thanks to everyone for the advice. At the vary least I think I will get some light or 26" tubes. The Exis are goint to stay.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I'm...

...a fan of Exi front, something else in the back. For me, the only other tires I have are Mythos XCs and they are faster.

The front Exi still slows the roll but its grip is worth it. I'd only run a pair of them on a geared FS bike.

Minnestrohtans - I've got an extra Exi lookin for a new owner.

Sean

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup

Soupboy said:
...a fan of Exi front, something else in the back. For me, the only other tires I have are Mythos XCs and they are faster.

The front Exi still slows the roll but its grip is worth it. I'd only run a pair of them on a geared FS bike.

Minnestrohtans - I've got an extra Exi lookin for a new owner.

Sean
I agree. I ran them F and R and felt bogged. Its great with the front Exi and a Nano out back.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
FYI
For all you admitted weight weenies and closet weight-weenies (Soupboy, Yeats) I stopped by the WTB booth yesterday at Sea Otter and BEGGED for a "race" version of the Exi...aka a 600gram range version of the Exi. I pointed out that many of their other tires come in that "race" version.
Also pointed out that many of the 29er supporters are VERY weight concious and would giggle like school girls for a lighter exi...
Have fun racing! :)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Father

Again, I don't object to the weight - it simply rolls like shyte. I've run 2.7" DH tires on my old 26" SS that rolled better thick casing, big chunky treads and all.

If you're going to ask WTB for anything get them to churn out the Moto 2.4" in 700c with Kevlar bead.

Thanks for your help,

Sean

Padre said:
FYI For all you admitted weight weenies and closet weight-weenies (Soupboy, Yeats)

·
being is
286 Posts
I like 'em

Front and back. They roll fine for me. Don't seem too heavy. Seems like splitting hairs when people beg for a bigger tire then complain that it's too heavy and slow rolling. Maybe I did add a pound to my karate monkey... better momentum!

Just give them a go. On my singlespeed they are the ticket. I'll probably go exi front, nano back for races but exi F&R for daily driver. Love the balloon tires! Heck, give me 2.7s!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Padre said:
FYI
For all you admitted weight weenies and closet weight-weenies (Soupboy, Yeats) I stopped by the WTB booth yesterday at Sea Otter and BEGGED for a "race" version of the Exi...aka a 600gram range version of the Exi. I pointed out that many of their other tires come in that "race" version.
Also pointed out that many of the 29er supporters are VERY weight concious and would giggle like school girls for a lighter exi...
Have fun racing! :)
I admit it, I do look at that lightbikes (I think that's the one) website now and then and yes, I want some lighter tires, but I like the Exi tread pattern a lot. BTW, I didn't go with a steel 29" to save weight over my aluminum 26", but I'll take the light parts where I can use them best, and that's usually tires and tubes for me. I think the benefits in using the Exi will be greater than the increase in weight over, say, a Mythos or the like. I was just a little surprised, that's all.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
LionelCSG said:
I just ordered a pair of foldable Fast Freds via Ebay - they`re quite narrow but also have only 420grams each. I´m curious how they´ll be.
Btw: The Schwalbe Racing Ralph only has 330grams but its also extremely narrow.

Ciao, Franz
Does that say 28x1.5...isn't that a cross tire size? 700x38-40 or something close?

Probably still real fast, but w/ low volume it looks like. Maybe I am wrong though...hope so

LP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.